Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Never enough time

Post by steamin10 »

THE LAST HURDLES HAVE BEEN ASSESSED AND EYE SURGERY WILL COMMENCE ON THE 8TH OF THIS MONTH FOLLOWED BY THE SECOND EYE ON THE 22ND. i AM OF COURSE NERVOUS ABOUT THE OUTCOME.

SOME TREES HAVE BEEN TARGETED BEHIND THE GARAGE ANNEX AND SAWED DOWN. THEY WILL BE CHAINED AND PULLED BY THE CASE TO THE DISPOSAL PILE. THIS IS TO MAKE ROOOM FOR A GOAT SHED. THE GOATS ARE TO CONTROL THE BRUSHY LAND BEHIND THE GARAGE AS THEY WILL BROWSE EVERYTHING ABOUT SHOULDER HIGH FOR THEM. THEY WILL BE SOLD IN THE FALL AND REPLACED IN SRING. WE BOUGHT A NUBIAN WHETHER BUT HE DIED BEING TOO YOUNG FROM HIS MOTHER, AND HALF STARVED WHEN WE BOUGH HIM. TWO MORE ARE PROMISED WHEN THEY ARE WEANED AT 8 WEEKS, SO A SMALL ENCLOSURE IS BEING BUILT THAT WILL EVENTUALLY OPEN ONTO AN ACRE OF WILDNESS. ONE SIDE OF THIS AREA ALREADY HAS A SIX FOOT CYCLONE FENCE ON THE NEIGHBORS PROPERTY LINE, SO PROVIDING ANOTHER FENCE LINE WILL BE ECONOMIC FOR ME, AS I HAVE COLLECTED SOME YARDS FO SALVAGE FENCE MATERIALS. THEY HAVE BEEN USED TO MAKE DOG RUN STYLE PANELS THAT FORM ENTRY GATE POINTS FOR CHICKEN COOPS, AS THE PANELS AND LIGHT WELDED WIRE FENCE ARE EASY TO MOVE FOR THE BIRDS. THE GOAT FENCE HAS TO BE MORE SUBSTANTIAL. AND FIELD FENCE WILL BE THE MAJORITY OF THE LINE ON WOODEN LANDSCAPE TIMBERS. WE WILL PROBABLY USE TWO STRANDS OF ELECTRIC WIRE TO TOP THE FENCE TO PREVENT CLIMBING AND KEEPCOONS AND OTHER CRITTERS FROM HAVING FREE ACCESS.. ITS A SHAME THAT THE GROUNDS HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO OVERGROW, BUT ATENTIONS HAD DRIFTED FOR A WHILE

A HAWK ATTACK TOOK OUT ANOTHER BREEDING ROOSTER IN THE FAR PEN, THE GIRLS THERE NOW HAVE NO MATE AS THE HAWK DOWNED A 14LB ROO,'BIG RED'. BETWEEN DENNIS MY NEIGHBOR ACROSS THE STREET AND I THATS ABOUT 50 BIRDS LOST TO PREDATION THIS SPRING. A CALL TO THE DNR GOT NO HELP , AS THEY DONT GET INVOLVED IN MOVING PREDITORS, AND RECOMMEND NETS AND STRUCTURES FOR PROTECTION. SO MUCH FOR FREE RANGE AND PICTURESQUE FARM LIFE. HAWKS ARE FEDERALLY PROTECTED BIRDS OF PREY, AND MAY ONLY BE KILLED WITH A SPECIAL PERMIT FOR PREDATION. GOOD LUCK WITH AN APPLICATION.

ON SUNDAY, THE ANNUAL FUND RAISER FOR THE RESCUE IS IN THE HISTORY BOOK, AND ABOUT A HUNDRED PEOPLE WOLFED BRATS BURGERS AND DOGS, AT THE PARK SHELTER. i POOPED OUT ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH AND TURNED THE GRILL OVER TO ANOTHER VOLUNTEER, THAT I DRAFTED, WHO FINISHED THE JOB. THE GATHERING RAN FROM 10 TO 4 PM WITH GAMES AND RAFFLES AND SALE ITEMS, ALL FUNDS TO THE RESCUE. IT WAS TOUGH THIS YEAR BECAUSE WE ARE DOWN ONE TRUCK TO HAUL ALL THE TENT AND EQUIPMENT WITH ME NOT DRIVING. BUT WE DID IT ANYWAY AND SURVIVED WELL ENOUGH.. MOM ROSE IS WONDERING IN REAL TERMS HOW LONG WE CAN CONTINUE WITH THE SCOURGE OF AGE SETTING IN, THIS BEING HER 18TH YEAR RUNNING THE RESCUE. WE HAD 14 ADOPTIONS ON THE PLUS SIDE, SO THATS ALWAYS GOOD.

FOR ME, I AM STILL SWINGING AWAY EVEN WITH MY LIMITED EYESIGHT, AND HOPING TO RESTORE MY DRIVING ABILITY. THIS WILL OF COURSE DICTATE THE ROAD I TAKE IN THE FUTURE AND GETTING BACK TO MACHINING AND BUILDING MY TRAINS.

SORRY ABOUT THE SHOUTING HERE, BUT ALLOWS ME TO READ THE SCREEN EASIER. TTFN
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

IT SEEMS THAT A REPLY IN CAPS IS REASONABLE. I CERTAINLY HOPE IT GOES EVEN BETTER THAN YOU THOUGHT IT MAY. nOT MUCH TO COMMENT ON EXCEPT NUBIAN GOATS AND STUFF. I MET MY FIRST NUBIAN GOAT AT A REALLY COOL REPTILE HOUSE/PARK WHICH ALSO HAD AN ENTIRE HUGE AREA FOR MAMMALS. wHAT I'M TRYING TO CONVEY IS HOW ATTUNED THESE FEW GOATS WERE. THEY CO-EXISTED WITH MANY OTHER ANIMALS SO WELL AS THERE WERE MANY DIFFERENT SPECIES AND THEY GOT ALONG SO WELL IT WAS AMAZING. IT WAS ALSO LIKE A PETTING ZOO, IN A WAY, AS ONE OF MY LITTLE NIECES WAS ABLE TO PET THE LARGE ONE AS IT WAS SO GENTLE. THOSE GOATS WERE REALLY SMART AND KEPT ORDER AMONG THE OTHER ONES. THERE WERE SO MANY. HECK THAT GIRL IS GROWN NOW BUT REMEMBERS COMING FROM UPSTATE NY INTO THE SCENIC VALLEY.
IT WAS SAD TO HEAR ABOUT OLD RED. YOU HAD MENTIONED HIM IN THE PAST. IF IT WERE TO BE THAT YOU HAD A WINDMILL GENERATOR, IT WOULD KILL THE RAPTORS AND NOBODY COULD CARE ABOUT THAT. NOT OUR TYPE OPTION BUT INTERESTING HOW THIS GOES.
spro

Post by spro »

The day is done and no reason to Cap a rather simple post from me. A thousand things and then goats. Best well, dear Dave.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Well, day 3 post op. vision is slowly clearing. RT eye is much improved in accuity and can read some road signs at a distance. There is a huge diference tho as my brain has not become accustomed to one good and one bad eye so walking is a trial, and depth is totally off, but I expect that to improve when the second eye gets done about the 33nd. I am hopefull that a major restore in in the works and it seems likely the improvement is on the horizon.

Bad thing tho is the drops in the eye 3 times a day. About the time the infernal itching quits, it is time for another drop. Mostly to protect against infection, my eye feels gritty like welders flash. three weeks of drops seems a small price for vision gained, so I wont complain too much.

I am staying away from the chicken yard and curtailed mowing in the dust and dirt, to lesson irritation. Operating a shovel insted putting in salvaged fencing for the goat pen. The two goats arrive tommorrow. I hope they eat their way through the brush and bramble that has grown up here. My grand dotter was swinging a machete today cutting away encroaching tree imbs and brush to the pathways we use. I hope the goats are as good at browsing the rough as well as they say.

laters
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The clinic that did my left eye offered a shot that eliminated the eye drops. Seems to have worked adequately, as I healed without issue.
The results of my operation weren't as dramatic as yours, as I can't see any better than I did before, although the change in brightness and color definition was profound.

Good to see you back.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

It is the mental agony of not knowing the future that holds the largest shadows over my eyes. I never anticipated slowly falling apart with age. Now I have come to know the Reaper follows in my steps, and I can hear him. So much to do and enjoy, yet the dark cloud follows. We just had a Giver for the Liver party for a younger friend. His last days are here. The benefit was held becuse he has terminal liver cancer that has metastasized. He is on a short calendar. They managed to raise a hefty sum to defray the medical costs and support his adopted family of 4 children. I drop a box of food items every week for the family as I have always had a crush for his wife Jemofer, but it is the kids that need protection, as they are drug along the messy road of life. They have no choice, and I am satisfied with that support.

We have our goats, they re but 9 weeks old and healthy Nubian dwarfs. Carl and Ellie. Named for the characters in UP, by a co worker of Rose, it seems to fit, growing old together, and planning that big adventure. I smile, as I pound fence posts in 90 degree heat. We move forward on the paddock, and reducing jingle in other areas.

The eye thing is a monster of the mind, and keeps you keyed up with my electric line trimmer I managed to get a piece of grass in my left ey, and that put me on the couch not willing to risk anything with the right eye at the moment. IT IS SUCH A PAIN TO BE ABLE TO SEE BETTER AND WANT TO GET ACTIVE AND HAVE TO WAIT. lIKE THE OLD FIRE HORSE, i AM PAWING AT MY ENCLOSURE BEING TOO SMALL FOR HAPPINESS.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I'd say it's time for you to make yourself look like an OSHA approved weed wacker operator, and wear a face-shield, and safety glasses...with side shields....maybe goggles....and carry on!
Proper PPE so to speak! Go to the extreme, and do that sort of thing for anything that applies.
May not be your normal routine....but at least you can go at a lot of things like that!
I been there.....

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

dave good to see you bCK AS I SAID IN MY PRIVATE POST MANY OF US HAVE BEEN THIS ROAD AND YES ITS A BRAIN TWISTER STILL ROOTING FOR YOU WITH THE SECOND OP.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

fyi I ALWAYS wear eye protection, as I normally wear corrective lenses for near nearsightedness. On this occasion, I had on a pair of cool looking sunglasses, and some green grass litter managed to get in. Big bummer mentally. I once got a wire from a cup brush arrowed into my cheek, just below my glasses. Lesson learned.

\worked on the goat barn, moved the brooder box forward in the barn 4 feet. this will allow the use of the side door for the goats for a 4 x 8 bedding and shelter area. A simple and fast conversion by putting in 2 2x4 up to the roof arches, and spanning across the building with some welded wire for a barrier to close it off. a couple of kick boards near the floor will contain the bedding from getting kicked through. The pen is formed by two 8 foot driveway gates zip tied to a dog panel six foot tall for a mini paddock. The mini goats will be here for a week until more sapling trees are removed and t-posts to hang some wire from encompass the barn side yard. Some building tin and stored things need to be moved but the area will become about 20 x 30 very quickly, as haste is needed for their health. A smaller chicken yard is dissolving into this new project, more dog kennel style panels will be welded up for the yard expansion, as the planned ten foot panels are easy to move and can be odd shaped, unlike setting poles, and hanging field fencing, that is rather cheap, but hard to move. i have a bunch of 5 foot salvage cyclone fence that goats and such cannot climb unlike the square holed general field fence. tomorrow I will stake the pen down with 3 foot sticks of EMT conduit, that are cutoffs from our normal pen stakes, to keep the panels from sliding or being moved by the active animals. So, now shelter, field and feed needs are met. they will visit the vet for an exam on thurs and continue with immunizations and whatever else is thought needed. The Vet is an old family friend that raises goats, so we are in good stead here. Carl will get wethered, and that is that. He has already been budded so they are horn free. He is a kick, as he grunts and stomps at me, with his dimunitive size its a hoot. He screams like a lost child when we pick him up. They reside in a medium dog cage for now, we have a larger one for transport in the Explorer. So thats the excitement for now. A Friend is donating his old pool net. He bought a new one for $99 on sale, so we get this 15 by 30 black leaf net. This will allow us to configure a chicken yard to be under net for Hawk defense. We are using deer netting on a couple of smaller coop yards, and the Hawks dive into the nets during their attacks, it is so fine. I guess they have trouble seeing it.
The adventure continues. Sorry to wander about, but my mind is active shaping details of this project(s).
spro

Post by spro »

Le's say I read your entire post. Where do I begin or end ? Right. say nothing. However; I read it twice and want to help but have nothing to add. Thanks for the tips about protecting the young from the raptors. That may have not occurred to me or "somebody else already did it" With feedback to how it worked.
Dang. Goats are most interesting critters. They will eat most anything and somehow digest thorns, vines. Maybe a dose of clean water on those because it is like a salad for them. If I was a goat, I would prefer Ken's Light Caesar but who knows what other spices they are getting from semi arrugella and poison ivy.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The hawks have a habit of attacking at will when hungry, as many as 8 have been seen wheeling overhead. They have taken several healthy breading males of 14 lbs or more. They eat a few oz of meat from the neck or breast and target another bird in a day. We have lost with our neighbor 55 birds since march. That is too large a loss to bare. DNR will not issue a predation permit, so defense is the only other answer. Netting and such nostrums are labor and economically intense. scavenging usable materials is the only way to cut the costs of installation.

The goats are Nubian dwarf, and will help alert to predators, since the dogs are generally confined to the house and are worthless for defense. Goats and several types of fowl are very vocal to intruders, so we are choosing animal aids for our flock. They were given a clear bill of health, booster shots, and Carl wethered on Thurs at the goat Vet

The goat building is walled in with some screen fence above the 4 foot walls. It is working out to a nice little bedding area.

Another eye check on Monday, surgery on 22nd.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ok , now for my DUH moment. The goats are NIGERIAN DWARF, not Nubian. Nubian have hound dog ears, Nigerians have stand up ears. But dwarf all the same. .
.The barn area has been finished and lined with 3/8 recycled plywood, so that edges of framing and the like are not available for chewing 4 feet up. It had me very upset, while working that I cannot see with my mismatched eyes to correctly drive a nail. Very rough on my ego. Working slowly, i put in the framing and liningg of the 4x8 foot area and prepped the outside yard for my dimunitive charges, including pulling a stump of clumped bush roots that fowled the barn door. It can now open full swing freely into the side yard, and they enjoyed being released from the dog cage, making great fun jumping in and out of the new play area with gusto before settling down at dusk on fresh straw mom Rose layed out for them. They ate well and got a banana treat before they bedded down, and seem quite happy with their new area. It is the only thing that made my day positive today with the pointed limits I had to contend with.
Sonny put a belt on the mower last night, and it lasted all of 5 minutes before shredding. I dunno. May have been installed wrong on the pulley guards or something. $30 dollar belt shot. Will try again in the morning. Always some dirt in the game, and never enough time....