High Pressure Washers for home use

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

stolzdm

High Pressure Washers for home use

Post by stolzdm »

Looking to get a high pressure washer for around the house. I was doing some research and found that the ones fro Sears, HD or Lowes all have mixed reviews.

Does anyone here have real experience with a HP washer? Probably price matters on what quality one should expect. I feel comfortable in the $2-400 price range. Seems like most problems are pump related. Any info will be appreciated.
warmstrong1955

Re: High Pressure Washers for home use

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well.....it depends on what you plan on doing....and how much..... I've used lots of different ones over the years, and have sold a few different brands at an equipment dealership I worked for.

What I can tell you.....if you use one on engines, equipment and things like I do....
- look for one with a Cat Pump. They hold up better than others, and if you ever do need parts, are available everywhere.
- Get at least 2000 psi. 3000 psi is the way to go. Better to have too much pressure, than not enough, when you come across some stuff. Just have to be careful not to blow the paint off things you don't want to.. :)
- If you go gasoline powered, look for one with a Honda. Good stuff.

I have a 3000 psi, Honda powered, Cat Pump, little rubber tired creampuff I bought at Costco 15 years ago. I've changed the oil in the engine, once in the pump just for giggles, and that's it. I think it cost about $450 back then, so I'm sure they are a lot higher now.
I used to have a little Karcher electric one, about 1800 psi. It was a CPA, always tinkerin' with it, it was and slow.... not much flow.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, I have 3 Karchers pig style. One bought new. Two similar ones donated. They are in a bushel basket right now.

I have a five horse Briggs powered on with a castiron two cylinder pump. Someone removed the output check valves. Got the whole rig for $35. It will be finished in the spring.

Ya, a realistic 2000 lb output is good for just about anything you will get into, including cleaning engines. With electric I think you hit a cieling of performance fairly quickly, so gas is teh way to go for bigger jobs.

spray on!
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
APozzi

Post by APozzi »

I have a Karcher and it is not great. The pump went out after 2 years of light use. The hose reel leaks like all the time. The only good thing is the 13 hp Honda engine.

I replaced the pump and still trying to the hose reel to stop leaking.

Like the above post stated get at least 3,000 psi of pressure. Make sure the pump is either a CAT or a General. Spend a little more money now and save yourself trouble later.

Andy
Rosco-P

Post by Rosco-P »

It's a sad statement, but the electric Karcher units seem to be manufactured with the same mentality of a small appliance maker. Like a toaster, they're just disposable. Picked up a Karcher #395 off the street, owner said it worked a couple of times and then died, just beyond the warranty. Karcher service told him it wasn't worth repairing. Found the pressure relief valve had gotten stuck, so the pump wouldn't turn on. Worked for a while after that, good for knocking the mud off the truck. Then the tubing inside the trigger handle split open, parts not available. Out to the curb it went.
stolzdm

Post by stolzdm »

All good information in the above posts. I was actually looking at an electric washer at eh Home Depot. Now will probably not consider one. I did see a gas powered on that had what they called a partial brass bodied pump. All the others said they had aluminum pumps.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Wearing my "Safety Chairman" hat... mainly because someone who's looking to buy a first pressure washer may not know what the rest of ye have forgotten...

Those things are very powerful and can be dangerous. The water comes out the nozzle hard enough to punch a hole in your skin and inject cleaning solution. It's also forceful enough to blast a hole in wooden siding (I actually did that on a work-shed at my former job).

Just be careful, wear protective gear, and keep yer body parts away from the nozzle.

End of sermon...
Pete in NJ
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

PeteH wrote:Those things are very powerful and can be dangerous. The water comes out the nozzle hard enough to punch a hole in your skin and inject cleaning solution.
Heed these words! Running my 3,000+ PSI washer, I inadvertently grazed a finger last fall. Luckily, with clear water. Instant pain and a ragged (shallow) slice in my finger. Healed without issues. I was lucky.

Harold

edit: removed redundant comment.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Agreed. While my little 1600 lb job was running, I was cleaning Northside spotty growth on the siding, and got a stubborn spot. Getting closer caused a cut about 3 inches long in the Vinyl wit a sweep of the wand.

Airless sprayers for paint, in commerical grades are notorious for removing fingers, when a careless operator uses a finger to remove a string coming out of the nozzle, that is old material from poor cleaning. The blockage clears and cuts right through skin, and paint will cause enough problems to cause an amputation to save the rest of the hand. It is no joke.

I saw an info-mercial with a wonder spray nozzle from house water pressure, cleaning dirty cars and muddy boats, and 'blasting' weeds in brick work. I laughed. 30 Psi wont do much, and the Magic wand whatever, is not any diferent than a hose nozzle for the garden, what I rinse my cars and trucks with.

An iron body pump, or brass, bronze, and enough power to run it is as good as it gets. It can set you back a big buck, unless you get one on Craigs or similar Pawn seller for a decent discount. Consider your needs, and dont overdo it too much. They still tend to lie about power on electrics, so watch the amps consumed and convert to watts for true horsepower. It is pretty dismal.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Phil3

Post by Phil3 »

I bought a Ridgid 3300 psi model with 7 hp Subaru engine. Home Depot sells these for less than $800. CAT pump. Works well, no complaints, and potent enough to damage a wood deck or fence unless careful. The thing is not huge either, and can be stored pretty easily.

- Phil
dirtcrasher

Post by dirtcrasher »

My 2600PSI 6HP Honda gas powered with an Ingersol Rand pump is junk......................

I PURPOSELY didn't want a Briggs motor.

When it worked, it had any nozzle for any job.

500$, 5 years ago, put maybe 40 hours on it. All it did was wash ATV's and a couple other things.

The crank seized to shaft!! Cylinder could use rings, ; I ALWAYS change and check oil. crank runs on aluminum - genius!!

Then I go on the pump website because it's acted up and they have a video explaining the pump was good for about 30 hours at 200$ or an "improved pump" was available for 300 plus$

Something else to be disgusted with :evil:

Moms Karson barely gets my machines clean, might be 12 or 1500PSI. Decent but not for my needs.
Just call me DC!!