Live Steam Newsletter Preservation

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz

joedy860

Live Steam Newsletter Preservation

Post by joedy860 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:21 pm

Hello All
Like many others I have been collecting live steam related magazines and other stuff for a while,
my question relates more specifically to the paper goods -- magazines, books, prints; you get the idea.
I would like these materials to last long after I am dead and gone. For example, I have all the Live Steam Newsletters published by Pershing G. Scott from 1960 to1966. To an outsider, they are nothing more than a couple pieces of paper stapled together that some guy did in his basement; to me they are a piece of live steam history to be preserved and treasured for, not only myself, but for live steamers yet to be born.
I know that the paper only has just so much shelf life until they crumble to dust, whether that is in 20 years or 200 years; I would like them to last for as long as possible.
I need some suggestions for preservation of these materials that would not leave me penniless. after all, I still need to buy more stuff.

Joedy

steamin10

Re: Live Steam Newsletter Preservation

Post by steamin10 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:36 pm

Economic salvage of printed materials is difficult, because of cheep printed paper processed with Sulfuric acid. There is enough aicd residual to react with humidity to brown the paper with age and eventually destroy it, as it oxidizes away. Good magazine paper has a lot of clay in it, and is a bit better for chemical damage. Newsprint is miserable, being the cheepest thing on the market, and only intended for a few weeks of life.

Tightly sealed boxes, more like galvanized cans, and a bag of desicant, is going to be about as close to long term storage poor people can get. These are paper artifacts. Floods, fire, bugs and mice, can all damage paper boxes, but Ammo cans, for shells or rockets, used to be available for cheep. Not so much anymore. But galvanized sheet metal can be bent from 18 gauge, to form boxes and lids to just about seal everything out. Schools around here were using galvanized boxes for long term storage of records for decades. These records are now being stored electronically, offsite, and that means less building to pay for every year.

Surprisingly, the larger and heavy filing cabinets of old were designed with long term preservation in mind. Many were fitted to let very small air change, of the contents, and usually were in climate controlled areas anyway, not a basement or garage. So keep that in mind, when you plan your plan.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.

tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:06 am

Scan the pages with a PC and optical scanner. Scanner are cheap these days.

Ideally you process with OCR (optical character reader) to preserve and rejuvinate the type.
If the image is good you can skip this step, but a document that is OCR become searchable, yo can look for the word "valve" and find each instance. A scanned image is like a picture, characters have no meaning.

Then you collate all on a DVD and make an index.

It will last as long as the DVD format is fashionable, hopefuly when the next storage generation is becoming popular there will be still DVD reader around to make a copy.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX

mlucek

Post by mlucek » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:21 pm

I too have almost all the copies of Live Steam since 1966. I'm missing the 1st few issues and the earlier Live Steam Newsletter whence it came.

I don't know if the publisher has plans on making any of the issues available electronically ? Would be nice to be on-line and searchable AND preserved for future generations !

Last year, Trains magazine released DVD's of 50+ years of the magazine. Great archive !!

Mike

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:06 pm

tornitore45 wrote:It will last as long as the DVD format is fashionable, hopefuly when the next storage generation is becoming popular there will be still DVD reader around to make a copy.
... sitting right next to the turntable and VCR.

Steve

Flybynight

Post by Flybynight » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:52 am

tornitore45 wrote: It will last as long as the DVD format is fashionable, hopefuly when the next storage generation is becoming popular there will be still DVD reader around to make a copy.
Just seen on TV where they said DVD's probably will obsolete in 2 years.
All the movies and stuff will be Streamed.
The ones in charge think everyone has access to high speed internet. :roll:
Jim
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.