How big is chaski?

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

SteveR

How big is chaski?

Post by SteveR »

How big is this site? By that I mean how much storage does it require and how many pages is it? By pages I mean for example, the thread "Steam Railroading Returns to Alaska" at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91670 currently shows 15 pages.

So for all the pages and all the posts in all the subforums - how many are there and how much server space is needed?

I'm trying to visualize all of Chaski in a book format.

Thanks!
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
rmac

Re: How big is chaski?

Post by rmac »

This doesn't completely answer your question, but ...

At the bottom of the Board Index page, it says that there are currently 425031 total posts. If you stare at the list of topics for any given forum on the board long enough, I think you'll conclude that the board likes to put 12 posts on each page. So that works out to around 35,000 pages.

Trouble is, it looks like the number of posts per page (12) is always the same, irrespective of the sizes of the individual posts. So the size of the pages varies all over the place. A page with lots of long-winded posts containing pictures would be pretty big. A different page with a dozen one-line comments, not so big.

Regardless, we're talking about a rather substantial book!

-- Russell Mac
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Then there are pictures..some are links and some are (i guess) imbeded therefore stored somewhere
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Thanks for those replies. I saved a couple of semi-random pages to see how big they might be - picture heavy pages can be 2MB, whereas this page is only about 250kB. If we assume most pages average 1 MB, this would be a total of about 35TB? Seems low to me.

It would be interesting to know how close our estimate is.
Thanks,
SteveR
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
rmac

Post by rmac »

SteveR wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:42 pm I saved a couple of semi-random pages to see how big they might be.
What exactly did you save?

-- Russell Mac
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I would tell you exactly, but my <2yr old POS Dell Inspiron laptop just updated W10 and now it wont boot. So until I get around this, those files are not accessible for me to tell you what they are exactly.

IIRC, it was this page, one of the RR in Alaska pages and page 1 or 2 from the New parts from an old Locomotive thread. Just used File, Save as to get an idea of the general amount of data on the page.

Gotta go.
SteveR
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
rmac

Post by rmac »

This is gonna be wildly unrelated to Home Shop Machining, but anyway ...
wrote: Just used File, Save as to get an idea of the general amount of data on the page.
That's actually what I wanted to know. I did the same thing for this page (using Firefox) and got a pile of files that totalled about 250 kB--same as you got.

But I think that's an unrealistically high estimate of the data that would actually be stored on the web server for the page. Here's why: Just as an example, among the files that Firefox saved is a Javascript file of a bit under 100 kB. There's most likely only one copy of that file on the server, not one for each page. So you can't really include that 100 kB in the size of every page that uses it. Same thing for most of the other files in that 250 kB, I would guess.

And even the 64 kB or so HTML file that is specific to this particular page is most likely generated on the fly by the server, and not actually stored anywhere in the form that your browser sees it. There almost has to be a database that holds all the messages and pictures, along with information describing how they're organized. Then code on the server uses the information from that database to generate the HTML that's sent to the browser, on demand as each page is viewed. The data that's stored on the server that's specifically related to any given page is likely to be much smaller than the data sent to the browser to display that page.

-- Russell Mac
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

The forum admin should know exactly how many files and what size the Chaski server is .
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Well, at least some of administration. The owner certainly knows, and Marty may know, but I don't have a clue. I'm not well versed on things like that and not likely to become so.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Site Statistics:
Chaski Stats.JPG
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

~20 GB is much smaller than I would have expected.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Marty_Escarcega wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:08 am Site Statistics:
Glad to see it's not running on Window$!
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D