Posts are sometimes wider than the screen but ...

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

GeorgeGaskill

Posts are sometimes wider than the screen but ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill » Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:59 pm

no horizontal scroll bar is generated, or the scroll bar will not scroll sufficiently to read the entire line.

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Posts are sometimes wider than the screen but ...

Post by Marty_Escarcega » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:23 pm

Usually someone posts a LONG URL instead of giving the URL a name. Or a picture that is too big.

Show me to the offending post/forum for a look.
Marty
no horizontal scroll bar is generated, or the scroll bar will not scroll sufficiently to read the entire line.
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"

timekiller

I have that problem also

Post by timekiller » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:41 pm

Hello Marty,

I have that problem also, like on this thread my screen will only let me read to "pict " in your posting. Will not scroll over any more. Is there a setting I need to adjust or what? Now it fully appears below in the In Response To box. ???

Thanks
Ray [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

timekiller

May have located problem

Post by timekiller » Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:06 pm

But don't know a solution. I did a quick review of the forum and noted a feature common feature to the threads that would not fully display. They ALL had a "Quote" some where in them. It seems to cut off about 5 letters off of the right side. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ray

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: May have located problem

Post by Marty_Escarcega » Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:30 pm

Interesting. I am not experiencing that problem. In MY HOME Display Preferences. see if your stylesheet is set to Desert Classic?
Marty
But don't know a solution. I did a quick review of the forum and noted a feature common feature to the threads that would not fully display. They ALL had a "Quote" some where in them. It seems to cut off about 5 letters off of the right side. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ray

GeorgeGaskill

I am using Large Font Desert but ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:17 am

I haven't seen the problem almost since I complained about it.

timekiller

No solution yet, still looking for a solution

Post by timekiller » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:32 pm

I tried Desert Classic, Desert, and have been using Large Font Desert. I adjusted the line width, no noticable change to display, except to this reply box width. I'm using Netscape 4.7. I've adjusted the Font under View. Still cutting the last few letters off of most post in the threads with "Quotes"

The thread where you are discussing you CNC mill every reply has lost the end of lines I can scroll and read the "quote", however it always stops at the right edge of the quote.

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: No solution yet, still looking for a solution

Post by Marty_Escarcega » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:49 pm

I tried Desert Classic, Desert, and have been using Large Font Desert. I adjusted the line width, no noticable change to display, except to this reply box width. I'm using Netscape 4.7. I've adjusted the Font under View. Still cutting the last few letters off of most post in the threads with "Quotes"

The thread where you are discussing you CNC mill every reply has lost the end of lines I can scroll and read the "quote", however it always stops at the right edge of the quote.

What resolution is your monitor set to on your PC?
Marty

timekiller

Re: No solution yet, still looking for a solution

Post by timekiller » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:38 am

The in Control Panel, Display, Settings tab the screen area is 800 x 600 pixels. Does this need changing?

Thanks
Ray

timekiller

Screen shot

Post by timekiller » Sat May 17, 2003 1:17 pm

In some other discussions it was mentioned to use the "print screen" button to get a screen shot of the page in the attachment is a shot of this discussion

Note

1. How the text is cut off the right side, of posts
2. the right side of the "Quoted" text is always the right margin of screen
3. there is not a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen to move to right or left

Any suggestions? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Still searching for a solution [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Ray

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Screen shot

Post by Marty_Escarcega » Sat May 17, 2003 11:42 pm

I will ask the Infopop folks.
You went to MY HOME
DISPLAY Preferences
and adjusted your display settings? In otherwords have you tried display in 70 columns, 80 is typical.

Also, when you checked your PC's resolution, you said 800x600, that should be fine I would think. Have you adjusted the font size?
I'm sort of at a loss as to why you have this problem. You could try increasing your display to 1024x768 and see if this allows you to view the full screen. I run my machine at this resolution but I use 125% size fonts. Its tolerable. Just things to try.....
In some other discussions it was mentioned to use the "print screen" button to get a screen shot of the page in the attachment is a shot of this discussion

Note

1. How the text is cut off the right side, of posts
2. the right side of the "Quoted" text is always the right margin of screen
3. there is not a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen to move to right or left

Any suggestions? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Still searching for a solution [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Ray

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Screen shot

Post by Marty_Escarcega » Sun May 18, 2003 6:39 am

Time Killer, I got an answer back from the support people. It appeared to me from your screen shot you are using and old version of Netscape, 4.78? Its probably something you don't want to hear. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]
To be honest with you, until a few months ago, I was running that version of Netscape, but bailed to I.E. 6.x because it started to crash too much.

Marty
Netscape 4.7x won't really work right with UBB.Threads as it does not support the Stylesheets fully.

He really needs a more modern version of the browser. Some people have had some luck by removing some "offending" classes from the stylesheets. For example the "blockquote" class does not work in that old a version of Netscape.

Do some searches here for "netscape 4.7" and you'll see several posts with various suggestions. But they should have problems everywhere - as it's just an old browser.

I know from my own users' personal experience that it doesn't wrap text in the text entry boxes - and that the menu bar does not always appear. And the "quote" boxes it just can't handle.

Versions 5 and up of all browsers should support the current standards and trends in w3.org.

Sounds like most of his issue is with the quotes - so you could remove the 3 blockquote functions from all your stylesheets - but then you are removing the formatting of quotes for everyone else.

Josh
www.joshuapettit.com