New format

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

J_Tiers

New format

Post by J_Tiers »

Lets see if I can post this time.......
This is a series of attempts, so that is why it looks odd.
Below is copied text of message that I am trying to post, but keep getting
tossed. Won't take me or my username, isn't interested in my password, won't
ask for it. J_Tiers should be me, but seems to be someone else. Actually
it is the second message, the first got tossed, as did the second, when I
tried to "continue, but I copied it first, to foil that little game........

J Tiers, trying to post on this thing......

It did it again, said someone else had my username. This time I copied
before it tossed me and threw out my text. Foiled it

Ugh...I had about 6 paragraphs, and they went into the bit bucket when I
tried to post. I probably can't get them back......grrrrr.

New format is "OK", read for that "inevitable". It seems over-complex and
the minute subdivision of topic types shown on the main index isn't as good
for me as it is for the "Pro" who likely only wants to see a narrow range of
topics.

I find that the wide range and easy access of the original format was easily
my favorite bbb format on the entire web. It has been educational to see the
threads on subjects that I would not have otherwise been exposed to.

There is a huge educational value to the subject mix in one "wodge' instead
of separated so much. When and if that goes away, I may find , as I have
elsewhere in similar cases, that I no longer enjoy the site. In those other
cases, I eventually deleted them from my bbb list when I found that the
changes made them un-useful, or un-enjoyable.
It looks right now like that may happen here too..... OK, you aren't in business to please me, it isn't a big deal.

My vote would be to keep the total subject categories to a minimum, and
retain a 'general" category.

For an example of a similar unfriendly forum, the S-10 truck forum was really so bad I quit dealing with it. It was somewhat like this, with a couple added "features". Nearly impossible to browse.

Using "open in new window" made the old version very easy to use. Other's
mileage has varied. The lack of a "bubble-up -to-top" feature for posts
was the biggest downfall, IMO.
It IS REALLY easy to brouwse the old format. The subdivision forces you to decide you want that area, choose it, and then look. clickety-clickety-click.

If you have to change it, and no doubt you do, I would suggest looking at
the Home shop machinist bbb setup (Village press). It has three categories,
good subject mix, easy format to use, no over-complications.
There are a couple issues, but in the main it is good, and I think it uses
this or a similar version of Infopop.
Don Thomas' site is also easy to use and easier to deal with.

General observations:

Colors don't change, the cursor is currently green on slightly lighter
green, which is hard to see and refuses to change.

The "previous" button seems to go where the "next" should. Not sure of
this, and I am afraid to try to see now, or I will lose my post again.

Not sure it has an "edit" function, again, afraid to try to find out, or I
will lose the works.

So far, it hasn't asked me for the password it sent me.

If it has a problem with your posting, it sends you "back" but your post
text is lost, you have to start over and type everything again.

The message window is tiny and leads to badly edited posts. Most of my screen is blank, with a window 3/4 inch by 2 1/2 inch to write th post in

This time I realized that you have to "login" as you enter, instead of if you post, with the post, as with the Home Shop Machinist board, and Don Thomas' board, which are MUCH easier to use. Seems to work.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: New format

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Success Jerry! Glad you got in. When you login , you can check the remember me next time (or some sort) box. And you won't have to worry about it unless you flush the cache and delete the cookies in your browser. This software seems much better than D Thomas board.

Do you have any .jpg image on your computer you can try to upload?

Work with it Jerry, be a little patient but if you get frustrated, chime in here and let's see if we can walk you through it.

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
J_Tiers

Post by J_Tiers »

I still like the HSM board best at the moment, although it has the same problem that if you forget something as you post, the software dumps your whole post and you gotta start over.
Don's board is next in ease for me after that. But it is easy to spot the posts even there.

The bad one (S-10 forum) seems to have died, so I can't refer you there anymore.

How do I chage the green cursor?
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Hmm, well, I guess, you have to remember to hit the continue button and if you have the box in front of I want to preview my post and/or attach a file checked, uncheck it if you don't want to review your message and click continue and it will post. Otherwise you can review what you typed and then hit continue.

Jerry, I hope you are able to navigate the site. The change is necessary. It helps address long standing wants that the users have had as well as administrative and support issues.

I think you will find a lot of support from others as we make the transition. I'm sure we may loose a few user's too. We are creatures of habit and many of us don't like change. I spent a lot of time trying to find something that was still simple and efficient.

I appreciate your comments.

As for color cursor. Are you using a PC or a MAC?
My cursor is a vertical black line. I am on a PC. You could try going to My Home and clicking on the line that says colors and trying a differnt Style Sheet or Skin. There are only two at the moment.
Let me know how you make out with this.
Marty
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Marty - I wondered some of the same things as - Tiers has just said - yes the size of this editing box is way too small - especially for those with poor eyesite -

Couple of thoughts - could you " Iconofy" all the extra "hub bub" and let the users enjoy a larger editing window - the bells and whistles (not saying they are bad) are sorta in the way. For instance I would very much like the have the origional post that I am responding to to be able to be read as I type in THIS window - I think this would allow people to better discuss their views point by point - I sure as heck know if I rely on memory - I am doomed - especially if I forget to scroll down and then back and then down if you know what I mean - another thougt along that line is would it be possible scroll the entire thread while typing a response - again to allow the user to examine "on the fly" so to speak.
To yak even more could you also make a single "enter" button. Sometimes peole are in a hurry and just want to post text - not worry about all the options <smile>
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hey Marty, as long as I'm on a roll here......I think the posting in chronological order is gonna be confusing - it make sit harder to understand which post is responding to which other post. The old system was nice in that way. Just a thought
J_Tiers

Post by J_Tiers »

All the newer forum formats are like that in that you never get the indent showing what is responded to.

However, so many folks didn't understand that, it becomes meaningless anyway. We even have folkspost new threads as a "response" in a different thread because they don't know how to start a new one.

Habit? Maybe, I am in the business of "new" at work so I like new things WHEN THEY ARE BETTER.

When they dump what I thought were great features and then marginalize important things like the response box size, well, I will mention it. That can sound like I don't like change, but that is merely a matter of what changed.

I notice that ONLY the last response post is shown when responding, not the whole thread.
To echo Jacin, one does want to see ALL the other posts IF YOU ARE RESPONDING TO A RESPONSE POST A COUPLE BACK, which is pretty likely.

Broken record time:
BOTH Dons board and the HSM board let you see every response in the thread (if on the same page of the thread).
John_Stevenson

Post by John_Stevenson »

I also read the HSM group and Don's group.
I like them both but I feel what makes these boards is the people and the subjects covered.
All on topic subjects [ mostly ] and no backbiting.
I used to post a lot on RCM but gave that up as a bad job because of the crap on there.
I still read it but tend to reply by email to the person concerned. Unfortunatly this is at the expense of the group but with an unmoderated group the loudest always win.

Experiance shows who to trust in a reply and who's just a bag of wind. I must say I found the posters on the old Chaski board very helpful
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

When reading your post Jerry, I can see the thread of those that responded. However, when I reply as I am doing now, I don't see anything other than the message that I am responding too. Is this what you are referring to? I'm not sure that can be changed in the software.