One last try before abandoning this forum. need solution.

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

J Tiers

One last try before abandoning this forum. need solution.

Post by J Tiers »

Is the software THAT broken, or what? (Note:This is the ONLY forum that I have trouble with.....)

Post order is all messed up. New posts for me may appear anywhere, on any page....... On page 1 posts from any year (or month, if current year is selected) may appear......

now, this looks like "ascending/descending" should fix it, but it doesn't. I can display all posts in what looks like reverse order, but the other choice scrambles them up.....

What I want is to have the threads with recent posts show up on top, with the less recent dropping off the page.....

So far, no choice that is available to me is working...... using Mozilla Firefox.

I have seen the solution to empty the cache every time you come here, but y'know what? This is the ONLY forum that requires that, if that is even a solution, and I just plain don't see why I should do that...... let the software folks fix it...... I'm not doing their job for them.

I'm not even sure why I am bothering with this, as it might end up on some other page where I will never see it...... even the 1 day/week/month/year selection doesn't seem to work quite right.

basically venting, but if there is a solution in terms of a *board control setting* I'm open to it. Otherwise..........
737mechanic

Re: One last try before abandoning this forum. need solution

Post by 737mechanic »

I have no idea other than see if IE works ok or if it is still screwed up.

I use both IE and firefox and both work just the same.

You are probably ate up with trojans and viruses and wanting to blame the site over what is probably a problem on your end. I get on this site with over 20 different computers depending on were I am at work or home and all work perfect.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

What page is displayed when you go to the site? Does it open in "View new posts", "General Discussion", View active topics"?

Is there any way you could post a screen shot of what you are looking at? That way we may better understand what you are seeing/describing.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
websterz

Post by websterz »

Come on guys, no need to get into a huff. FWIW I am running IE7 and Google Chrome 4.1.249.1064 with no problems.

If you go to the User Control Panel and select Board Preferences there is a reset button at the bottom of the screen that should reset your profile to the default settings.
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

I'm not having any problems at all... IE8
spro

Post by spro »

What could become of a situation which has evolved does not improve from outside speculation. It would be difficult to lose JT by pouncing or inflating some concern he stated. It is already being addressed so it's over.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

JT:

Whatever it is, it's most something to do with your profile settings in the BBS, not your browser.

I have a couple of suggestions that might get you to conclusion quickly and keep you active here:

1> get Marty to make you a BRAND NEW profile. Log in and see what you see. If it looks OK, then it is a case of resetting your settings on the old account to be the same as those on the new. I am running 'out of box' settings, and all looks good from here, it's a good place to start.

2> Set up a GOTOMEETING with someone that has a working profile, bounce back and forth looking at each other's computer screen / settings until you find the differences, and make the changes necessary.

I will be happy to help you with the GOTOMEETING when I get back to the USA in mid June. Until then, if someone else has an account and / or is willing to help, you might figure it out quicker than waiting for me.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

of course it is settings..... the issue seems to be that the settings I have had available are not the same as what YOU see.......

Others have commented on this also....... and it seems to change over time...... I'll check back and see if the settings permissions have been updated..... in a couple weeks
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

J Tiers wrote:Is the software THAT broken, or what? (Note:This is the ONLY forum that I have trouble with.....)

What I want is to have the threads with recent posts show up on top, with the less recent dropping off the page.....
I made one change for you. Please go to a thread within a forum and let me know if the newest post is at the top, while the oldest is at the end or last page.

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
pockets

Post by pockets »

Marty,
The Live Steam section seems okay, but in the Lathe and Milling Machine sections, new posts don't float to the top.

Thanks,
Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz »

pockets wrote:Marty,
The Live Steam section seems okay, but in the Lathe and Milling Machine sections, new posts don't float to the top.

Thanks,
Greg B.

That is because when I set up those forums, I made a lot of topics "sticky," which means they stay up at the top and are marked with the
sticky_read_mine.gif
sticky_read_mine.gif (352 Bytes) Viewed 6829 times
icon. These are topics of continuing interest like "Show Us Your Lathe" or topics that newbies like myself would want to reference and not have buried when the number of posts rises [we are up to over 900 topics now] like "Lubricating a Lathe". If you look past the stickies, at least on my screen, the posts start from newest to oldest, as long as you have the parameters sorted by "post time" and "descending" on the last cell of the message table
Image1.gif
You can reverse the order using these same parameters. Hope this helps.

Best,

Nelson
pockets

Post by pockets »

Thanks, Marty.

Greg B.

OOPS :oops: :oops: Sorry, Nelson :oops: :oops:
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston