Thoughts on private messages

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

Harold_V

Thoughts on private messages

Post by Harold_V »

One of the questions I am asked frequently is "why do my sent private messages remain in my outbox?"

Well, it's pretty simple, folks. When you send a private message, it shows in your outbox so you know it has not been opened by the recipient. Once it has, it then moves to your sent box.
That's the way it's supposed to work.

While we're on the subject, there's a number of readers who apparently don't receive notice that they have a private message waiting, so it's not uncommon to have them go unnoticed, often for days, or even weeks. To that end, may I suggest that readers take a quick look each time they access the board, to see if they have received a message? If you use subsilver2 as your board choice, there's a small display at the top left side of the board that indicates if you have one, or not.

If, by chance, you have sent a PM that has gone unopened, and you have no access to the recipient by other means, feel free to notify me. I can then send an email (I have access to all email addresses of readers, where readers may or may not have) to the intended recipient, notifying them that they have a message waiting. You need not disclose the subject matter---just provide the name of the individual in question so I can locate his address. The name should be as it appears on the board.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LivingLegend

Re: Thoughts on private messages

Post by LivingLegend »

Harold....

I may go for days without logging in, although I may look at the board a couple times a day nowadays. The only time I do log in, is if I decide to reply to a thread/post.... And it may be a couple of days, or a week or more before I do. So, if I do receive a PM, I have no way to know that I have until I do.

The reason I don't log in each time view the board, is that since the last software upgrade/update, I can't say logged in after leaving the board, even though the "Log me on automatically each visit" box is checked at log in.... So I must continually to log in at each visit. Since I can read the posts without log in, I just read them with out doing so, and log in if I decide to reply to one.

And yes, cookies are enabled on my browser.

Is it just me? Or do others have the same problem?

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

LivingLegend wrote:Is it just me? Or do others have the same problem?
Heh! That's a good question, LL. One I likely can't answer, but with a little luck, Marty may be able to provide some guidance. The only thing that comes to my mind is that you may have an issue with security settings.

It sure is nice to be a computer moron (speaking strictly for myself!)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FredR

Post by FredR »

If you are using Internet Explorer, try going in under tools and internet options. Delete your cookies. That usually fixes it.
Fred
LivingLegend wrote:Harold....

I may go for days without logging in, although I may look at the board a couple times a day nowadays. The only time I do log in, is if I decide to reply to a thread/post.... And it may be a couple of days, or a week or more before I do. So, if I do receive a PM, I have no way to know that I have until I do.

The reason I don't log in each time view the board, is that since the last software upgrade/update, I can't say logged in after leaving the board, even though the "Log me on automatically each visit" box is checked at log in.... So I must continually to log in at each visit. Since I can read the posts without log in, I just read them with out doing so, and log in if I decide to reply to one.

And yes, cookies are enabled on my browser.

Is it just me? Or do others have the same problem?

LL
J. Randall

Post by J. Randall »

L L , that is the way it is has treated me also since the last upgrade. I ask about it a time or two then and then just gave up and use it the way you do. I do regularly clean old cookies out, so I don't think that is the problem.
James
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

J. Randall wrote:L L , that is the way it is has treated me also since the last upgrade. I ask about it a time or two then and then just gave up and use it the way you do. I do regularly clean old cookies out, so I don't think that is the problem.
James
Ok, guys, I'll send the link to this thread to Marty, to see if he can lend anything to solving the mystery.

Because it's isolated, I fully expect the problem to be with each individual's computer. To my knowledge, we don't have the problem, in general.

One thing to check is that you are accessing the forum by going to chaski.org. We have had a few readers who were using a different address. Switching to .org solved the riddle.

Harold
WJH

Post by WJH »

This is a cookie problem, your cookies may be corrupt. Cookies are the only way the browser can remember your login details.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

I use Firefox (have since the days it was still known as Netscape). I refuse to use Internet Explorer or Chrome.... But have checked IE to see if the same problem I have with Firefox exists with it. I don't have any problems with IE remembering to log back into Chaski.

I'm not a computer neophyte.... I go as far back as the mid 1970's when I built them from scratch..... Wiring circuits point-to-point, or etching my own circuit boards.

Thinking about it, the problems occurred after upgrading to Firefox v8 from v3.6.

I must be missing something that's simple to correct. With the health issues I've been going through in resent times, I just don't have the patience, or the desire, to take the time to troubleshoot and figure out what the Firefox problem is.

I use a Firefox plug-in ("CookieCuller") to manage cookies and I clear them daily, if not after every session. I also have the plug-in set not erase cookies I do want to retain.... Such as Alibre and Chaski. I periodically clear those protected cookies as well.

Firefox's privacy browsing mode is disabled.

BTW Even after clearing the Chaski cookies, and repeating the Chaski log-in and checking the box to remember me procedure, I still have same problem with Chaski and Firefox.

LL
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

OK got the problem solved using Harold's suggestion to log in via Chaski.org.

Logged in and checked box to remember....

Bookmarked the Live Steam page and exited Chaski. Clicked on my Live Steam board bookmark and returned to the Live Steam page.... With no new log in required.

LL
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I received a reply from Mike and Marty, reaffirming the use of .org, NOT .com.

Good to hear you resolved the issue, LL.

Harold

Edit:
There is a new release on the board software. At some time in the near future, we can expect the board to be down briefly, while it is upgraded. I'll post notice when that is to occur.
Fender

Post by Fender »

I get an email from Chaski whenever I have a new PM. So I learn pretty quickly if I have a message. I guess I must have entered my email address into my profile (but don't remember now).
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Receiving notice of a private message waiting is an option.
Assuming you use subsilver2 as your board preference, go to the User Control Panel. Click Board Preferences. Fifth option, reading down, is Notify me on new private messages: Select Yes.

Harold