Thinking of posting pictures?

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

Harold_V

Thinking of posting pictures?

Post by Harold_V »

I encourage readers who have an interest in this subject to read the entire thread, as there have been changes made that are less restrictive of the size of allowable pictures. In a nutshell, the maximum size now allowed is 1024 x 1024 pixels.

As has always been the case, the file size should be kept as small as possible, as we still have readers on a dialup. For them, large file size pictures can be a cause of not reading a given thread.

Harold
9-3-15

Readers
Because we have several readers who are still using older technology, pictures wider than 800 pixels in width are not permitted to be posted unless they must be clicked to be viewed. Such pictures cause text spread, so posts must be scrolled side to side to be viewed, which most readers find unacceptable. Pictures hosted on the forum are already limited, with a large thumbnail created by the software. Linked pictures are a totally different matter.

Please cooperate by resizing pictures to acceptable limits before posting. If you don't have the means to resize, here's a link that provides a free download for IrfanView, which is the program I use for resizing and shrinking file sizes. In no case should a picture be wider than 800 pixels.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Be mindful of file size when posting pictures. Two issues are at hand. Server capacity, and connection speeds. Many of the readers of this forum are still limited to a dial-up connection. For them, pictures spell the inability to view a thread. It can take several minutes for the thread to download on the computer, so by limiting file size (100 kb is more than adequate to provide acceptable pictures when size is limited to 800 pixels in width) readers will find your post far more user friendly.

At some point in the future, the servers used for this forum will have been saturated. That's going to present problems for the owner, but we can prolong the issue by not posting unreasonably large file size for pictures. Please consider shrinking them to no more than 125kb.

Thanks for your understanding, and your cooperation.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Re: Thinking of posting pictures?

Post by JackF »

I am having trouble attaching pics lately. I have reduced image size to 800 pixels max and have tried jpeg, tiff, and giff formats with no luck. I'm sure one of these formats worked in the past. HELP this poor lost foto nut losing his touch. :(

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Can you describe the problem you're having, Jack?
One thing to consider is if the file size is too large, the board will reject your attempt.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

I get a message that the file format is not supported, I think. I am getting rummy after spending hours re formating. Not easy since my old PhotoShop quit working. :( :wink:

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Can't address that problem, Jack, as the board should allow the following:
gif
jpeg
jpg
png
tga
tif

When you get straightened out, give it a try. If you still have issues, let us know.

Harold
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks Harold,

I'll get it figured out.

Jack.
db133

Post by db133 »

I know how to resize a picture !

How do I post one ? There are no details on how to do it !
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

db133 wrote:I know how to resize a picture !

How do I post one ? There are no details on how to do it !
Real easy, made even easier if you'll go to the page where you reply to a post, so you can see what I'm talking about. You can do that and have these instructions to read by clicking on the Quote button at the bottom right of this post. I'm assuming you're using the default board choice, subsilver2.

After composing your post, look below the box in which you entered text. You'll see a broad blue line with orange text within. The line says Upload attachment. Pictures can be posted two ways on this board. One of them is to host the picture on the Chaski server, which is what this method will do for you.

Below the blue line, you'll see a box, within which it says Browse. That permits you to access your pictures, where you have them stored on your computer. Go there and select the picture you wish to post. Follow the instructions that appear. Once selected, click the button below the Browse button, which says Add the file. Allow time for the picture to be uploaded. Done. If you wish to post more than one, simply repeat. Note that there is a limit on how many pictures you can add to each post, and that's partially determined by the file size of the pictures. Posts are limited in size, but they are more large enough for even the most windy of individuals. They can be overwhelmed by pictures, however, so use good sense.

If you store your pictures off your own computer, all you need do is provide a link to the picture you wish to post. No special brackets or coding required---just post the link.

Ask for more guidance if you're still confused.

Harold
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

Hello,

I'm getting ready to attach a photo to a reply and Lightroom is my photo software. I can export a photo and set 800 pixels as the limit as well as 125 Kb as the file size limit. However, the software also wants me to set the pixels per inch. What should I specify for the value? Thanks.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

EOsteam wrote:Hello,

I'm getting ready to attach a photo to a reply and Lightroom is my photo software. I can export a photo and set 800 pixels as the limit as well as 125 Kb as the file size limit. However, the software also wants me to set the pixels per inch. What should I specify for the value? Thanks.
Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, I can't answer that question. All I've ever done when resizing is to reduce the critical feature, which, in this case, is the 1024 pixels in width. Height is adjusted accordingly, by the software (IrfanView). I then adjust the file size, which I expect has some relationship to the pixels per inch. By posting a picture this way, so long as it is hosted on the Chaski server, it will be automatically sized as a thumbnail.

Make this easy on yourself. Try posting a picture that's 1024 pixels in width, with a file size that's about 125 kb. In my mind, the pixel count will take care of itself. If it does not, perhaps you can make mention and I can do some research to learn more about this subject.

I make mention of the 1024 pixels in width as that's an ideal size. A great deal of detail can be viewed when necessary (by clicking the thumbnail). I encourage readers to post them that size.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for your cooperation. It helps me limit the amount of time I spend making changes on the board.

Harold
sacco

Post by sacco »

Hi all this is just a trial run to post a picture.
IMG_1097_1.jpg
Hope I havent put it in the wrong place the preview shows it is all right

Sacco.
Fairport

Post by Fairport »

This is a test for posting pictures.
Thanks Alan
Attachments
DSCF3496mod.jpg