Thinking of posting pictures?

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

Rich_Carlstedt

Re: Thinking of posting pictures?

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

This thread is long and confusing.
There is more discussion about pixel counts than about the actual posting of pictures and function.
So the question is ?
Does Chaski allow us to download pictures onto the Chaski server like Photobucket did
I cannot find a download link so I assume the answer is no ?

Why not update the column and say no and that the max picture size is 1000 pixels x whatever
Rich

Since Photobucket folded, I seldom post a picture, but the desire is there occasionally
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Posting pictures on this board is dead easy. Don't look for a link that says photos, or some such, as they are posted as attachments, and are done on the same page used to post. Look below the box in which you enter your text, left side, where you will see two buttons (I'm assuming you use Allan Style SUBSILVER as your board choice). The first one it titled Options. The second, the one you use to post pictures, is titled Attachments. Click that button, then follow the instructions. Note that we do limit photo sizes, and that all photos hosted on the board are displayed as thumbnails, which can be clicked for a full size display.

There are a few good reasons why pixel size (as well as file size) is limited. One of them is slowly becoming a non-issue--that one being that pixel count used to ruin a thread if it exceeded 1024. Beyond that size, text was spread in all posts in any thread in which a larger picture was posted. That causes side to side scrolling in order for the text to be read. I can't think of even one person who enjoys reading that way. With modern monitors, that isn't as much of a concern, but then not all of our readers have a modern monitor.

Another of the reasons why there's a limit on pixel size is that some folks simply don't have the wisdom to not post a picture that is thousands of pixels wide, with a huge file size. Large pictures waste band width, and cause folks with slow connections to not be able to follow a thread because the huge pictures take too long to download.

Post pictures using common sense. When detail isn't an issue, a picture size of 1024 pixels in width and just a couple hundred kb in size is more than adequate. If more detail is required, a larger file size may be required. In general, the larger the file size, the better definition will be displayed, assuming the photo is well in focus.

If readers hope to see this venue continue free of charge to them, keeping the overall size of the board in check will help. That means that unnecessarily large file sizes (for oversized pictures) should be avoided. The owner of the board has never requested financial help, although he has graciously accepted voluntary donations.

Be mindful that not all folks enjoy a high speed connection. The board isn't about any one individual, but all of us. We all sacrifice a little so everyone can participate.

If you have problems uploading a picture, feel free to contact me via the board (PM), by email (if you still have my address), or simply post accordingly. I'll do my best to assist you.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Test picture. They have been showing up upside down when I post them. Have even tried posting them upside down but that doesn't solve the problem either. If I click on the picture, it comes up OK. I have posted with this tablet before and there was no problem. This issue seems to have started early this year.
Attachments
Test picture
Test picture
tomc

Post by tomc »

hold your tablet the opposite way and do a test. U probable did an upgrade and now it is position sensitive. I bet an Apple product!

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

All else fails, use a real camera. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Button on left
Button on right
Attachments
IMG_4149.JPG
IMG_4150.JPG
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

And Tom C is the best. Being a lefty, I will have to remember to keep the button on the right.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Test
Attachments
IMG_4186.PNG
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Steve Bratina wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 amTest
Hi Steve! I believe that locomotive was James Scott's Princess, or was it Duchess? It's a 4 cylinder locomotive that James purchased off the Turnbull brothers in 1980 or so. It was well-worn since it was completed in 1949.
Sooo, James being a competent steam engineer in his avocation (He and I were mechanical engineers by profession), and lacking a work shop, brought it to mine in Pointe Claire at the time for a thorough overhaul.
The boiler, made of copper, had a lengthy combustion chamber with cross tubes. And James' prevailing concern was "what would we do if a leak developed somewhere in that chamber". Indeed we hatched an action plan for that event but, the boiler remained tight until James passed on. He was a great friend. w
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Henry Hosper’s Royal Scot
Henry Hosper’s Royal Scot
Wolfgang,
Sorry but that is a 1” scale Royal Scot built by Henry Hoppers of New York State.
Keith Taylor
djjh87

Post by djjh87 »

how do i post pictures to my build with out having to hit reply button?
No problems just solutions.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

djjh87 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:44 am how do i post pictures to my build with out having to hit reply button?
More information is needed. Are you asking about posting pictures to an existing thread, or is your question in regards to starting a thread?

Pictures are posted as attachments if they are hosted on the Chaski board. If they are hosted elsewhere, all you need do is provide a link in your post.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.