FS 11" Delta/Rockwell Metal Lathe Parts

Buying, selling, trading and for giving away Items of interest to the Home Machinist Community. (Non-Commercial Only) *PLEASE BE SURE TO LIST CONTACT INFORMATION AND LOCATION OF ITEM*

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: FS 11" Delta/Rockwell Metal Lathe Parts

Post by spro » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:16 pm

I was looking at some pictures of the lathe spindle. There is a helical gear as part of the pulley and it is a pinion to drive the feeds thru a larger helical gear. The main thing, is that these helical teeth appear to have been cut with a circular cutting wheel. The edges taper off and those don't mate with the larger gear. The photo shows plenty of room for that gear to mate but was shifted or the spindle shifted, to where they were eating each other.
We're not talking zinc alloy here. It is so sad really because Delta Rockwell had a very clear locking device for the spindle. It was to allow the collar of the L00 to be unwound. Of course they didn't know how long this was going to last and how sticky chucks were cemented to the taper. - That is why; when looking for backplates or integral threads around L tapered chucks, look for how many threads have been broken off. Three threads ain't right but I've seen them sold. You can have a perfect collar around your "L" spindle and introduce something like that. It could ruin your collar or have run-away lathe chuck.

kroll

Post by kroll » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:28 am

Yes sir,not knowing anything about these but I do pay attention to those details when I take off the 4 jaw and install the 3 jaw.I also make sure that I am not in lock spindle and I rotate the chuck little before turning it on.Just to help keep what you describe from happening.All I have to do is remember each time and that's not easy:(

spro

Post by spro » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:08 am

All in all, it is a decent lathe. I probably already said this but the larger 14" version used the same L00 tapered spindle. I mean it was larger internally but L00 was at the nose. These things get heavy and L0 heavier, so even an 8" chuck weighs a lot. If you want a four jaw of 10" , it doesn't have the scroll weight but right heavy - for me anyway. I'd be looking to build a crane for larger chucks.

neanderman

Post by neanderman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:37 am

spro wrote: I'd be looking to build a crane for larger chucks.
Yeah, there's a plan to do that.
Ed

Le Blond Dual Drive
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"