CMM chassis for great DIY cnc build: $300

Buying, selling, trading and for giving away Items of interest to the Home Machinist Community. (Non-Commercial Only) *PLEASE BE SURE TO LIST CONTACT INFORMATION AND LOCATION OF ITEM*

Moderator: Harold_V

thunderskunk

CMM chassis for great DIY cnc build: $300

Post by thunderskunk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:38 pm

Hey gents,

What you have here is a fine piece of metrology history: this was an old Mitutoyo manual CMM with semi-automatic functions. Super weird design. I thought I was going to restore it, but I bought a Renishaw Equator that’s not from the Cold War era. As a bonus, it actually functions.

Anyways, I need to get rid of this thing. It weights 1800 pounds; 90% cast iron. That I-shape is where most of the weight is. I saw a video of a fella who built a really awesome .0001 capable router using granite ways. This would be a great chassis for such a project.

What’s included: the 1800 pound chassis, air bearings, Z-axis hardware if you want it, and the granite surface plate. And before you think “man, for that price it’s worth it for just the surface plate,” it’s not. The plate has seen a real beating. Once of a very high grade, it’s not in great shape. Just fine for hobby stuffs, but not for anything I do.

What’s not included is anything CMM like: the light bars, encoders, Renishaw hardware, the Windows 98 desktop, servo motors, power supply, etc. If you think you can make use of them we can talk about including them, otherwise I’m trying to recoup for my mistakes by parting the rest.

I can arrange northern New England delivery for a modest fee; gas and lunch for the kid doing it. You’ll need something with forks to get it off though. Comes apart at that seam, so it’s not too heavy on transport. I have a stacker, so if you want to pick up I can load it onto a pickup.

This is a really easy way to end up with a square casting for a pretty serious home CNC machine. You could try using the air bearings or toss em and put some sort of roller. You can reuse the original screw mounts for your ball screws. Heck you can make it into a lawn ornament if you’re into that sort of thing.

Located in middle-of-nowhere Vermont. Fat chance I find a buyer, but it’s worth a shot.

I’m posting pictures in the second post: tapatalk is having some issues

"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."

thunderskunk

Re: CMM chassis for great DIY cnc build: $300

Post by thunderskunk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:38 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:39 pm

Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Be one heck of a 3d printer too.

thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:19 pm

Mike Walsh wrote:Be one heck of a 3d printer too.
I’m a terrible salesman, but I gotta believe it’d be overkill for 3D printing.

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:56 pm

thunderskunk wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:19 pm
Mike Walsh wrote:Be one heck of a 3d printer too.
I’m a terrible salesman, but I gotta believe it’d be overkill for 3D printing.
So what? Nothing wrong with a bit of overkill. At $300 it's probably the cheapest way by far to get that combination of working volume, stability, and accuracy.

It could also double as a router...

thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:57 pm

It’s now scrap, last call. Can’t get cheaper than “free.”

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Resurfacing a surface plate is not very expensive, so you might want to keep the plate and have it done.

My 12x18 was $40 as part of a group deal with several other people.

Steve

thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:03 pm

My local place for that is Rock of Ages, a golden standard when it comes to granite plates and resurfacing. If they can relap it, I might come out on top, but for a full regrind it’ll cost as much as a new plate minus the material. If I had a use for the threaded bushings it would be worth it. I’m still keeping the plate around, but it might sit under a desk for a bit.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:19 pm

thunderskunk wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:03 pm
I’m still keeping the plate around, but it might sit under a desk for a bit.
Unless it's REALLY bad for as surface plate, it will make a good assembly table.

When we did the "surface plate party", the technician came out and we had maybe 5-6 plates to do, one large one and the rest 12x18 or so. Don't know what he charged for the big one, but the smaller ones were $20 for a 8x12 and $40 for the 12x18.

Maybe you can band together and get a group buy to bring the price down.

Never hurts to ask unless the question is "you wouldn't hit a man with glasses, would you?" (if you are old enough to remember that Bugs Bunny episode).

Steve