Free speedranger drive unit

Buying, selling, trading and for giving away Items of interest to the Home Machinist Community. (Non-Commercial Only) *PLEASE BE SURE TO LIST CONTACT INFORMATION AND LOCATION OF ITEM*

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

Free speedranger drive unit

Post by SteveM » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:41 pm

A while back, I picked up a speedranger motor / gearbox to use on my Pratt & Whitney 3C mill.

I bought it from a guy that I've dealt with before and who knows Pratt & Whitney machines, as he has owned several.

Well, it turns out that:
A: it's not the same unit as the 3C, it's only 1/2 hp (although the gearbox looks to be the same).
B: all the parts are not from the same unit. The end bell on the motor side is the wrong diameter
C: the armature looks wrong. It's got a commutator on it, but the housing has no place for brushes.

The variable speed unit appears to be fine, and the armature has a splined shaft that goes into the gearbox. I've spun the armature and run the gearbox thru its range and it appears to be fine.

It has the benchtop control unit and the rotary cable that attaches to the speedranger unit.

I can't ascribe motive, but there's no way that a guy that knows P&W machines like he does would not know this wasn't anything you could get working.

He doesn't answer his emails anymore.

You could gut the windings out of the center section, mount a motor in there and use the spline on the end of the shaft to drive the gearbox and you'd have something usable. You could also attach a pulley to the opposite end of the armature and run that with an external motor. You can make an adapter ring for the end bell, if you need that to support the end of the armature. The end bell sits away from the center housing, so you could make an adapter ring to take up the space and change the diameter. I'm sure there's ways to work it, I just don't have the time and I'm clearing the shop of abandoned projects.

I have $100 into this and was trying to get my money back, but at this point, I have a new lathe coming and need to get this off the floor because it's sitting where the lathe is going.

If nobody takes this, it goes to the scrap metal yard.

This is local pickup in southeast Connecticut.

Steve
Attachments
Gearbox.jpg
SpeedRangerGap.jpg
ArmatureEnd.jpg
Armature.jpg
Housing.jpg

Bill Shields

Re: Free speedranger drive unit

Post by Bill Shields » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:03 am

PT Barnum at work (not you....the other guy....)....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:50 pm

I bet it's the right rotor and the right stator but the wrong end bell. The right one would have the brush holders. Looks like it was a nice DC motor. Helical poles on the rotor (anticogging at low speed) and lots of commutator segments.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:53 pm

Bill Shields wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:03 am
Yup.

He's not answering his phone and he stopped posting on practical machinists.

There are several threads about problems with him, in fact if you google his name, some bad stuff on PM comes up (I"m not going to print it here, although some of you may know of him).

Steve

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:57 pm

John Hasler wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:50 pm
I bet it's the right rotor and the right stator but the wrong end bell. The right one would have the brush holders. Looks like it was a nice DC motor. Helical poles on the rotor (anticogging at low speed) and lots of commutator segments.
Except that the motor plate (which I did not show in the original post) says that it is AC (or more correctly, it says that it is 60 cycles).
MotorPlate.jpg
Steve

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:38 pm

That kills that theory, then.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:51 pm

SteveM wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:53 pm
Bill Shields wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:03 am
Yup.

He's not answering his phone and he stopped posting on practical machinists.

There are several threads about problems with him, in fact if you google his name, some bad stuff on PM comes up (I"m not going to print it here, although some of you may know of him).

Steve
Hmmm.
It has been said that all that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good people to stand by and do nothing.
If this individual is scamming those with whom he comes in contact, it needs to be known. No need to make any derogatory comments---just state facts, and associate them with his name. The person who might be spared a negative experience just may be one of your friends.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:03 pm

I kind of remember that some AC motors do have brushes. Think series wound. Depending on how old it is, there are a few motor types that are now obsolete. Obviously with less than a full set of parts, a satisfactory result is just not there.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:51 pm

I goggled the frame number and found that there are some gear motors around that are the same frame.

If I could get one of those, maybe I could mix / match parts, but what I really need to do is get the pratt & whitney 3c lathe onto a bench and running.

Steve

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:12 pm

Russ Hanscom wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:03 pm
I kind of remember that some AC motors do have brushes. Think series wound. Depending on how old it is, there are a few motor types that are now obsolete. Obviously with less than a full set of parts, a satisfactory result is just not there.
The data plate identifies the frame as being from a bog standard induction motor. The rotor is obviously from a shunt wound DC motor.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:45 pm

John Hasler wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:12 pm
The data plate identifies the frame as being from a bog standard induction motor. The rotor is obviously from a shunt wound DC motor.
That's interesting because the rotor splines actually fit into the gearbox, so there must have been a DC motor option for the gearbox (or the spline is just some standard spline).

Steve

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:27 pm

Perhaps the rotor is all that's left of the original motor.