WTB dro an power feed for 3616

Buying, selling, trading and for giving away Items of interest to the Home Machinist Community. (Non-Commercial Only) *PLEASE BE SURE TO LIST CONTACT INFORMATION AND LOCATION OF ITEM*

Moderator: Harold_V

Elton

WTB dro an power feed for 3616

Post by Elton » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:31 pm

Just bought a grizzly 3616 vertical mill and it’s missing the power feed an i want to add a dro. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Elton on Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harold_V

Re: wTB dro an powder feed for 3616

Post by Harold_V » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:55 pm

"Powder feed"?

I suspect you mean *power* feed. Is that correct?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Elton

Re: wTB dro an powder feed for 3616

Post by Elton » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:01 pm

Yes

pete

Re: WTB dro an powder feed for 3616

Post by pete » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:05 pm

Since I don't own that exact mill I can only provide general information without knowing for sure what may or may not directly bolt up to that mill. But if it were me? Don't buy off websites like Ebay etc where it's being drop shipped from Asia. Generally places like Grizzly, Shars etc will be a bit higher priced, but you have at least North American based service for possible issues etc. Grizzly may even know which power feeds do work on that mill without modifications. Personally I'd be a bit leery about buying any used equipment like this unless I knew the seller very well. Stripped gears, burnt out boards etc aren't exactly uncommon and finding replacement parts for a fairly uncommon brand of power feed might be tough or impossible.Afaik most of these power feed units that are direct clones of the Servo brand come with and are set up to take an aluminum replacement casting that bolts to the end of the table. Those all seem to use the same bolt pitch spacing and layout that the real Bridgeports use, and that most but NOT all clones copied. For my BP clone I didn't know all this and just bought a power feed from Grizzly. Lucky for me the manufacturer of my mill did copy the same bolt layout as the real Bridgeports have. So it did bolt right up.

Much of the above also applies to older and well used dro's of any brand. There's no real way to foresee what you might be getting or how long it might continue to work. You might or might not get lucky. There's some very cheap dro's (sub $400) directly shipped out of China. Again what happens with possible faults, shipping damage etc. If it were me I think today I'd look at what DRO PROS are selling, https://www.dropros.com/Electronica_Mil ... eadout.htm and budget for something they have. By all accounts they stand behind everything they sell, are great about after sales questions or service etc. One important fact about buying a dro is you have to size them to have scales at least as long as your mill travels AS WELL AS the length of the reader head. That can require scale lengths 2"-3" or more longer length as your table travels are. I also look at a dro as a building block for the whole machine and everything you'll machine with it. Buying at the cheapest possible price just may not be the best idea. I purposely bought the very best dro I could afford and it ended up being almost 3/4's of the price I paid for my BP clone. I've read at least a post or two where some have reported measurable accuracy issues with those really cheap ones and one where the dro failed after less than 3 years.
Last edited by pete on Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elton

Post by Elton » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Great advice thank you

John Evans

Post by John Evans » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:30 pm

Well that mill DOES NOT use a Servo style power feed as used on BPs and clones. Shars or grizzly probably your best bet there. Second on DRO PROS ,my unit from them is pushing 11 years no issues.
www.chaski.com

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:33 pm

3rd in DRO PROS.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

pete

Post by pete » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:51 am

I used my Servo type example from checking the Grizzly PDF manual for that mill John. From what that shows I think a Servo style is what's used on it.