Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:55 pm

I have a new upper set of teeth that are held in with Four, 5* tapered pins. It fits real tight and is difficult to remove. So I made a slide hammer, out of stainless steel and brass, to remove the plate, with ease.
20210424_180106.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!

Patio

Post by Patio » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Denture slide hammer V 2.0.
I made the overall length a little shorter and the middle slide stop, now screws on to the bottom half, capturing the slide when disassemble for travel. The first one just had a washer.
20210425_181354.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!

Patio

Post by Patio » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:38 pm

Hello Everyone. School is going good. Gotta burn to learn! :) The teacher had told me about students making stainless steel tube with coins brazed onto the end to hold their Tungsten electrodes. So I made something like that! :)
20210604_193419.jpg
The Cazeneuve lathe has the ability to thread to a stop, but that can ruin a guys fought for skills. So the cap on this one was threaded to the shoulder, manually. I did clock the threading tool, at an angle, and created a small relief to help clear the shoulder of the tube. The bottom of the tube has a Stainless steel slug, press fit into the bottom and then faced off. The cap was made on a indexing head using and endmill.

I bought Everlast MTS 275 Welder, right after starting the TIG welding class at the college.
https://www.everlastgenerators.com/prod ... ig-package
So a guy needs a cart for the welder and stuff! I built one. It is not finished. My shop has very little room to get around. On each end people can pass by each other. So I built the cart with the bottle of Argon, laying horizontally. This allow the whole mess to fit under my bench.
20210603_132602.jpg
This is the first anything I have made, at home, with my welder. I just need to paint it and attach it somewhere on the cart.
20210603_150227.jpg
20210603_150237.jpg
I did remake the weight on the slide hammer, for removing my upper denture. The weight, now has a recess in the bottom, making it able to stand up, on it's end. I also ended up with a much better knurl. the last one was not very well done.
20210604_191617.jpg
More to come, as I get it done! Hope this finds everyone healthy.
Attachments
20210604_193029.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!

liveaboard

Post by liveaboard » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:59 am

You use that slide hammer for your teeth, like the ones in your mouth?

I've never heard of anything like that.

Patio

Post by Patio » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:55 pm

Mark, I had implants installed in my upper jaw. Tapered pins are screwed into the sockets of the implants. The prosthetic has tapered sleeves installed in it. There are only four of them, as any more than that would make pulling the denture difficult. It works just like a Morse Tapered tooling. The doc had told me about a patient that had made a slide hammer for pulling his. The doc also showed me a slide hammer that is used for the removal of Crowns. I modeled my after that. He did supply me with a tool that has a little hook for pulling the denture, but that is a pain in the neck, literally, from all the effort required to remove it. The slide hammer works really well for when I do need to pull them. The only time I take them out, is after eating, to rinse things off, and for my daily brushing routine. I had a regular denture for about a year, going through the process. I can tell you there is no comparison. These things are great! I can eat what ever I want, apples, nuts, and even corn on the cob. They are a lot of money and quite a long process, but I am glad at the moment.

Patio
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!

liveaboard

Post by liveaboard » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:20 pm

I also have an implant, but the screw is sealed over so it never comes out.

Well, almost.

When I first lost the tooth (you should have seen the other guy!) the implant man had trouble getting the post to take to the bone, so I had a temporary abutment there.

Then while I was away in India there was this angry Israeli guy with his 2 friends...
Anyway, the angry Israeli and his friends calmed down afterwards, and helped me find the abutment post he'd knocked out.

I took it to a local dentist who did implant work, but he only had metric tools and the screw in my mouth was imperial, US made (even though I got the work done in Europe). He said he needed a tiny imperial allen key.

No problem I said: I have them. Not with me, I had to go home and come back.

So he sterilized my allen key and screwed it back in.

Now I've had the crown on it for around 12 years. So I'm a little surprised that you take yours out and put it back as a normal thing.

Patio

Post by Patio » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:03 pm

Mark, my prosthetic is not a single tooth, but is an entire upper plate. Being that it is held on by tapered pins, it is not necessary for the plate to cover the entire top of my mouth.
20210606_195717.jpg
I was told, anymore than four tapered pins and sockets, it would be to difficult to remove for cleaning.
P
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!