Amazing machine work

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

User avatar
Bill Shields
Posts: 8536
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:57 am
Location: Somewhere in the World
Contact:

Re: Amazing machine work

Post by Bill Shields » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:27 pm

Yes . They DO have products that intentionally cause a positive outbound airflow
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

User avatar
BigDumbDinosaur
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Midwestern United States

Re: Amazing machine work

Post by BigDumbDinosaur » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:08 pm

Bill Shields wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:37 pm
unless it's intended job is to lubricate the outer skin of the aircraft

In that respect, a radial engine has no peers. :D
——————————————————————————————————
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

User avatar
liveaboard
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:40 pm
Location: southern Portugal
Contact:

Re: Amazing machine work

Post by liveaboard » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:46 pm

Lucas electrical used to be known as "the prince of darkness".
That mainly referred to the intensity of vehicle driving lights...
But not everything they made was (is) bad. My 22 year old car has Lucas diesel injection pump and it's still working perfectly.

Ok, not really; it's supposed to pull fuel from the tank through the filter without an auxiliary (lift) pump. That is to say, it's supposed to really suck but like the vacuum cleaners, it sort of doesn't.
I added an electric fuel pump, now it works just great.

User avatar
Bill Shields
Posts: 8536
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:57 am
Location: Somewhere in the World
Contact:

Re: Amazing machine work

Post by Bill Shields » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:10 pm

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:08 pm
Bill Shields wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:37 pm
unless it's intended job is to lubricate the outer skin of the aircraft

In that respect, a radial engine has no peers. :D
You have obviously never ridden an older British motor cycle..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

User avatar
GlennW
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:23 am
Location: Florida

Re: Amazing machine work

Post by GlennW » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:19 pm

GlennW wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:29 pm
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:54 pm
The British were notorious for using 10 parts to do the work of five,
Oh, you mean like this arrangement to secure a threaded plug?

DSC04527.JPG
DSC04528.JPG

A simple piece of safety wire to secure the plug would have worked just fine.
Now that I just ran a piece of stainless safety wire all the way through my finger I may re-think this!
DSC04538.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

User avatar
Bill Shields
Posts: 8536
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:57 am
Location: Somewhere in the World
Contact:

Re: Amazing machine work

Post by Bill Shields » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:32 pm

Gloves?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

User avatar
BigDumbDinosaur
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Midwestern United States

Re: Amazing machine work

Post by BigDumbDinosaur » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:01 pm

GlennW wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:19 pm
GlennW wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:29 pm
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:54 pm
The British were notorious for using 10 parts to do the work of five,
Oh, you mean like this arrangement to secure a threaded plug?

DSC04527.JPG
DSC04528.JPG

A simple piece of safety wire to secure the plug would have worked just fine.
Now that I just ran a piece of stainless safety wire all the way through my finger I may re-think this!
DSC04538.JPG

Want me to kiss it for you and make it worse? :lol:

I've not completely penetrated my finger that way with safety wire, but have poked my share of holes over the years. It always hurts like hell when I do it.
——————————————————————————————————
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

User avatar
BigDumbDinosaur
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Midwestern United States

Re: Amazing machine work

Post by BigDumbDinosaur » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:03 pm

Bill Shields wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:10 pm
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:08 pm
Bill Shields wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:37 pm
unless it's intended job is to lubricate the outer skin of the aircraft

In that respect, a radial engine has no peers. :D
You have obviously never ridden an older British motor cycle..

I know that they can go fast, but didn’t know British motorcycles can fly. :D
——————————————————————————————————
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

User avatar
Bill Shields
Posts: 8536
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:57 am
Location: Somewhere in the World
Contact:

Re: Amazing machine work

Post by Bill Shields » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:16 pm

OH YES....they can fly....for short periods of time.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

Post Reply