DTI Stand

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

GlennW

DTI Stand

Post by GlennW »

I had a friend give me a DTI stand the other day that he had made, as he is a retired Tool Maker and now in his 80's. It was living in his basement and had grown some rust on it so he thought that I may give it a better home.

I didn't think to ask when he had made it, but he served his apprenticeship in Germany in 1952 (that's another whole story) and may have made it then or soon after.

I didn't take any "before" pics, but I blew it apart and re-ground most of it to get rid of the rust spots. The top surfaces were originally ground and the sides were a coarse cross hatch fly cut machined finish and all were finished in Black Oxide.
DSC00919.jpg
A setup shot, as I do that on a small surface plate and then move it to the grinder.
DSC00920.jpg
The completed parts. Note the reduced diameter on the mast.
DSC00932.jpg
The mast fit into the base.
DSC00933.jpg
The Finished Product. There are a number of ways that a DTI can be attached and oriented. The fine adjustment is accomplished by turning the knob above the base, which flexes the mast.
DSC00937.jpg
This thing is rock solid and will be very useful, as I did not have a proper stand for use on a surface plate.

Unfortunately, he will not see it "restored" for another year as he only visits one day a year.

I don't know what material it is made from, but I guarantee it is harder than Harold's head!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Re: DTI Stand

Post by Harold_V »

GlennW wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:28 pm I don't know what material it is made from, but I guarantee it is harder than Harold's head!
I'm not sure I believe even one word of your comments now that you made reference to my head. The reason I say this is because it's well known that diamond isn't as hard, so I doubt the material in the base is harder. :lol:

Looks good, Glenn! :wink:
H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks Harold!

A different orientation of the DTI.

I'll most likely make a new mount to accept a dial indicator to have both options.
DSC00941.jpg
Slathered with preservative so it doesn't rust over night...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Nice Glenn!
Something about home built...makes tools better!

And, originally machined from 100% pure Haroldinium!
(I think Harolinium falls between Illudium and Unobtanium on the periodic chart)

;) Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:35 pm And, originally machined from 100% pure Haroldinium!
(I think Harolinium falls between Illudium and Unobtanium on the periodic chart)

;) Bill
Thanks, Bill. I learned something new today! :lol:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.