WWII Era Bandsaw Refurb

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

shootnride

WWII Era Bandsaw Refurb

Post by shootnride »

I got on this "Photo Album" forum to look at Harold's thread about his construction of a new clutch coil for his lathe. Well, then I realized that I had never looked at this forum before, so I spent the next couple of hours perusing various threads and ran across Russ Hanscom's thread about his refurbishing of a Doall bandsaw. Well, I just finished a pretty complete refurb of an old Grob 18" bandsaw so thought I would share it here.

Anyway, I completely disassembled, cleaned, stripped and painted pretty much everything. Made several small repairs, made a few parts, replaced all bearings, belts, tires and electrical wiring. Added some "plumbing" so that I can hook up my shop vac to suck up the chips and constructed a mobile base so I can roll it around.

I also contacted the manufacturer to see if they had any information in their records about this particular saw. They responded with the following information: "Your saw left our building on September 12th, 1941. It was shipped as a NS-18-10, denoting it is a 10 speed model. It was wired as 220 volt. It was one of 4 that was shipped to the Federal Emergency Vocational School". So, I suspect it was used to train folks to support the war effort.

Ted

Some photos
IMG_20200918_132418557_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201026_082513615.jpg
IMG_20201109_083613201.jpg
IMG_20201109_083712353.jpg
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Steggy

Re: WWII Era Bandsaw Refurb

Post by Steggy »

Looks like a nice, substantial beast. If you suddenly decide you don't need it anymore I know of a shop with enough floor space to give it a new home. :wink:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice! Amazing how much effort can be expended on these old machines. Worth the time, though.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

That's really nice!

Great work.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

It looks very much like a Doall. I see you went the castor base route - makes life much easier.

I find mine to be one of the most used tools in the shop. Having a good saw as apposed to a converted 14" wood saw, is a real pleasure.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

I've had one of the small horizontal band saws for 40+ years and it has certainly earned it's keep. But, as Russ said, it sure is nice to have a "real" vertical band saw. Wish I had purchased one 30 years ago. Also enjoyed resurrecting some old American iron that had been out of service for quite some time.
Thanks for the kind words.

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The LocLine air nozzle is a good way to go. Easy to move in or out of the way.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:18 pm The LocLine air nozzle is a good way to go. Easy to move in or out of the way.
Ya, I like the Locline products. That is actually used with my shop vac. There is also another nozzle inside the cabinet right where the blade enters the cabinet. It really helps to keep the chips under control. I also use the Locline connected to my shop vac on my mill.
Ted