Replica Gattling Gun

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Butch

Replica Gattling Gun

Post by Butch »

Been working on this project. Parts starting to come together. Working on barrels now.
gglines

Re: Replica Gattling Gun

Post by gglines »

Butch,

Wow, looks beautiful! Please post more pictures as your project proceeds. Are you making it from a set of plans?

Thanks,

George
cammer

Post by cammer »

have you checked with local A. T. F. think it,s still classifed as regstered wepon ??
Michael_Az

Post by Michael_Az »

Looks like a great project Butch, keep us updated as to how it goes.
Michael
Saimp 2 HP 10 X 44 mill, #2 Cin Horz Mill, Cholchester 13" lathe, LeBlond 15" Dual Drive.
Butch

Post by Butch »

The plans are Model Engineering from Douglas Schnieder of LA. Not being a machinist they have been "fun", but I have managed to figure them out. Good time user upper, and a learning experiaence for me. Have learned a lot doing this project.
Tel

Post by Tel »

nice work Butch - got a link for them plans??
Tel
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Don't know if these are the same, but here's a link to a set I've been eyeballing for that time (50 years from now) when I'm out of projects:
Gatling plans
Here's a site from a fella that is building / built a gun from said plans and offers tips, as well as some insight into what the plans are about:
gatling builders
and finally, here's another along the same lines:
http://www.skipevans.homestead.com/GatlingHeader.html
Keep us posted Butch, particularly if there are any pitfalls.
Thanks,
GsT
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Building a gattlin gun isn't a problem with the ATF. It is considered semi auto, and that is ok to build as long as you don't build them to sell. Can't even give them away. But they can be passed down to your heirs.
Now if you wanna get fancy and put an electric motor on it, the ATF will have a field day with you.
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
BarryBriscoe

Post by BarryBriscoe »

You might want to look into whether the magazine complies with the 1994 assault weapons ban as I believe the ATF allows some magazines.Manufacturing others would be illegal manufacturing of post ban magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds.
AAA

Tel

Post by AAA »

Being from your part of the world, just a word of caution.
Most Aussie states consider these to be a machinegun or a pistol. Under currently elgislation in most states an individual in not able to legally make their own firearms.
Under current customs regulations, the plans themselves are also considered to be prohibitted imports - under legistation originally designed for -----------------------.
Get them sent to a mte in the US then to you directly to avoid any problems.

good luck.

Mike
Tel

Re: Tel

Post by Tel »

Yeah Mike, the Gestapo is alive & well & living in Australia. Little Jackboot Johnny gonna have a lot of explainin' to do come the revolution. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Probably no something i'd build, but it would be nice to have the plans tho'.

Thanks for the links Gene - very interesting indeed.
Tel
JimGlass

Re: Test firing/picnic

Post by JimGlass »

Hey Butch;

Lot of interest in your project. I looks great. I guess my idea of a motor was a bad one from a legal standpoint. We should set up a test firing date and have a message board picinic at the same time and place.
Jim
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com