close-up of one finished project

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

gregvasale

close-up of one finished project

Post by gregvasale »

This is one that's finished. No, I didn't make it, but did put it back in working order
Rob_Black

Re: close-up of one finished project

Post by Rob_Black »

Looks nice. But, uh, what is it? Pardon me if I'm missing the obvious.

Rob
[b] Some days are diamonds....[/b]
gregvasale

Post by gregvasale »

It's a small timepiece aka. tower "clock". This one has no bell strike capability. Stands about 24" tall. I'll post a picture of the building its on in Boston, Ma. A little tough to see the hands, but I didn't take the photo. The black discs you see near the top of the building are the dials of the clock. When I can scan my own photos, I'll put a better one up.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Gee, I thought it was a pendlum drive for a three blade gyrocopter. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img] I can appreciate the time and talant you put into restoring that beauty. Fantastic [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img] Tnanks for sharing it with us.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Rolly

Post by Rolly »

Greg I am in Boston, could not open the attachment. What building and street is it on? Are you a member of NEMES the New England model club in Waltham?
Rolly
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Looks beautiful; Did you only clean it up or were new parts required?
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
gregvasale

Post by gregvasale »

It needed to have three pinion gears replaced. Over oiled all its life. (about 70 years). It needed to have three teeth replaced on the winding drum. (welded, recut) Also replaced a couple of pivots,(ends of the arbors) and a new crank square. The old one was twisted. Cut of the bad end, bored, fitted and rewelded into place. Paid a cutter grinder to measure toothe profiles and make single point cutters. Re cut pinions in the Atlas lathe by setting cutters in toolpost sideways and dragging across with carriage handwheel. All pinions worked with the 60 tooth index, but it was a pain in...... etc. Stripped the paint, sandblasted, and used body filler to even out roughness in the casting. Prime and color coat out of a can. Rust-O-Leum Hunter Green? Baked the paint in the oven when my wife wasn't home. Other minor details, like new cable and adjustments, messing with the hands and stuff like that. I did all the "machining" but no welding. Love to be able to make single point cutters like those myself, but not able to do so yet. No grinding skills yet or a grinder either. Or a comparator. Also, my daughter found the characters to re-apply the serial# in Windows, or Word perfect, scaled them up to size and I painted them on over a tracing. Thanks for asking, Greg Vasale