Minor Clausing 5900 Thread Dial Modification

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

fredwhite

Minor Clausing 5900 Thread Dial Modification

Post by fredwhite »

I don't leave my thread dial engaged at all times since it is wearing the dial gear when the lead screw rotates.

On the Clausing, the thread dial is held in place by a bolt that is tucked in close to the dial body. Somewhat inconvenient to reach with a wrench.

I made a spacer to move the bolt head out where it was more accessable and made a square head bolt that has the same head size as the bolt on the carrige lock - thus one less wrench to look for.

The silver disk on top is a cover I made out of aluminum which just drops over the dial markings to prevent any accidental damage to the face of the thread dial.
Matt_Isserstedt

You're Gonna have to donate that Clausing soon

Post by Matt_Isserstedt »

It's going to have so many upgrades that it'll have to go into a museum!

Very nice adaptation. I'm fully with you on making custom adapters and not custom machines. My taper attach luckily came with the machine. I think there was more swarf, grunge, and grease by weight than the actual taper attachment structure.