New Holland Engine

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Bob_W

New Holland Engine

Post by Bob_W »

This is the second engine I built. It is a model of a 1/2 HP New Holland hit and miss engine. I was given the kit by a friend that had never had time to start the project and I thought it would be a challenge. Talking to others that had built the same kit, I learned that this was a difficult engine to get running properly. After talking with them I came up with several minor adjustments that have produced a very nice running engine. It has started on the first flip (with one choke cycle) after setting for a month [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img] It took a little less than 8 months to build.

The next one is a 1/2 scale Olds engine. That is the one I have posted several questions about concerning the problems I may have trying to bore the larger cylinder and main bearing journals with my limited equipment.

Opposite side view in the next post.

Bob W
Bob_W

Re: New Holland Engine

Post by Bob_W »

Here is a view of the engine from the other side.

Not a lot of details visible in these pictures; but you may notice that there is no spark plug. This engine used an ignitor system that had the breaker points inside the cylinder, not uncommon in other engines in that era.

Bob W
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

Verrrry nice! Good job.

Did the wheels on the cart come with the casting set?
So many projects, so little time.
Bob_W

Post by Bob_W »

No. I got the wheels from a friend. I think he had picked up several trees (with six wheels on each) at last years Cabin Fever Expo and gave me the two shown on the cart.

The casting kit was a Briech-Peters kit, but it is no longer carried by Peters. I believe Mike Widmann of United Pattern Company near Reading is now selling the kits.

Bob W