Flame Licker Model

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

rake60

Flame Licker Model

Post by rake60 »

Just finished up another model. I need a better parting tool for cutting grooves, but it didn't turn out too bad. It was kind of a test run of the mini mill,and it works just fine. The engine is a Flame Licker. I need to make a base for it, the sheet metal is just to hold it together for now. It turns over freely, and I beleive it will run. We'll find out someday soon.

Rick
[url=http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com][color=blue][b]Home Model Engine Machinist[/b][/color][/url]
Harold_V

Re: Flame Licker Model

Post by Harold_V »

rake60 wrote:Just finished up another model.
Looks real nice, Rick.
I need a better parting tool for cutting grooves
There's nothing preventing you from hand grinding one, you know! They're really easy to grind, and can be tailored to specific needs, so you don't fight chips or size. You might give that some thought.

Harold
rake60

Post by rake60 »

My parting tool is hand ground HHS.
At work I run a Mazak CNC I have a little skill decay when it comes to grinding tools. Dern computers are turning us into button pushers rather than machinists. :(

Rick
[url=http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com][color=blue][b]Home Model Engine Machinist[/b][/color][/url]
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rake60 wrote:My parting tool is hand ground HHS.
At work I run a Mazak CNC I have a little skill decay when it comes to grinding tools. Dern computers are turning us into button pushers rather than machinists. :(

Rick
Yep! If you don't use it, you lose it.

In a sense, I'm lucky. I've avoided learning CNC operations, although I say that with mixed emotions. My manual skills were well developed as a result, but I also realize that there are some serious limitations to manual machining that are handled in stride with CNC. I can still hand grind the most complex of turning tools, but have no clue how to start a CNC. probably too damned old to learn, too! :cry:

Harold