Cincinnati 24" Standard Shaper Service/Repaint

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

millman5

Cincinnati 24" Standard Shaper Service/Repaint

Post by millman5 »

I picked this shaper up 3 years ago. I wish I had snapped some before pictures. It was still under power when I looked at it & it ran ok so I gave the $400.00 the guy wanted for it.

Once home with it I first started in with a pressure washer & layers of paint began flying off. (seven of them best I could tell). I knew there wasn't any way to ever get it to look like anything without stripping it.

Tore in with oven cleaner. Several applications later & much scraping & wire brushing, pretty much had it to bare metal.

Repainted with automotive grade enamel primer & 2 coats of Martin Senior's Nitram Industrial
Attachments
Cincinnati 24 at work.jpg
cincinnati24 repaint.jpg
If it works Don't fix it....
Jose Rivera

Nice

Post by Jose Rivera »

nice looking machine.

It brings tons of memories to my mind :-)
millman5

Post by millman5 »

They really are awesome machines. The part loaded on it there is a niche job I have. 1 operator can keep 3 of these shapers going on the long cuts. I have made auto stops for them that kicks the table feed out at a specified point. these brutes will take .200 depth of cut & .040 per stroke of feed. Have to haul the chips away in a wheelbarrow.

And the tool bits..... Well it costs a fortune to keep them tooled up! :lol:

I have a competitor that does the same operation on a CNC machining center. I get 2 more per day than they do. The 3 shapers don't take up much more room than the machining center either.
If it works Don't fix it....
quasi

Post by quasi »

that appears to be a very late model by the shape of the castings.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

And here is its ancestor - a 100 year old Gould and Eberhardt with 12" stroke. Currently surfacing a large chuck of free steel. With a little care it will last forever, well almost. The flat belt drive is gone and the bull gear has been retoothed and the chip pan is new but otherwise mostly original.
Attachments
shaper.jpg