Scissor Sharpener

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

ndav8r

Scissor Sharpener

Post by ndav8r »

Hey Guys:
In my Profession in Aviation Upholstery, I have many types of scissors in my shop, to cut anything from your very fine materials to heavy leather. So to keep a very sharp edge on all my scissors, I made this sharpening jig.
It stems off of "the universal scissor sharpener", which what I thought was absolete until I machined this one. I have coarse/medium and medium/fine stones to get an incredibly sharp edge. I only take off a few thousands at a time vs quite a bit more using a motorized grinder. I used my Bridgeport Mill and my 10x24" Clausings lathe and cheated a bartender out of a couple of nights on this project.
Later,
NDAV8R
Jose Rivera

SHARPENER

Post by Jose Rivera »

Lovely tool!!

Thanks for sharing it.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Very nice build there.

I keep our pet grooming scissors sharp using a Foley 327 Scissor Sharpener. It gives a hollow grind which may or may not be an advantage - I don't know because I don't use the scissors, I only sharpen them for those that do.

I would need a slick setup like you made to compare the two, straight vs. hollow grind. Have you compared the two grinds?
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
ndav8r

Post by ndav8r »

Hello Steve:
I was told once that hollow ground will have good cutting characteristics as it wears down a little. It probably will not need sharpening as often as a straight sharpened scissors. But I don't know for sure about it because all of mine including my expensive WISS scissors are Straight ground.
Gale Hansen
Valley City. North Dakota