MY mortar is about done!

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Gerald C

MY mortar is about done!

Post by Gerald C »

here is some pics. that I took today, They show the trunion caps epoxed bedded, the elevation wheel installed. The frame is glued together and rough sanded, I mounted the barrel to put presure on the caps while the epoxe hardens up, the angle gauge is for size compairson, the frame is 15" x 32". I still have to put a 1" plate of steel under it and make some handel straps. if you look at my other post ( cohorn Mortar) you can see I added some more pics.
Gerald
HotGuns

Post by HotGuns »

Outstanding! :D
Bob
Jose Rivera

Mortar

Post by Jose Rivera »

JUST BEAUTIFUL !!!
steamin10

morter

Post by steamin10 »

You are just a little ahead of me, as I am grinding in the weld build up of the reinforcing bands.

What kind of wood is that. is it oak that has weather banded from storage or is it some other hardwood?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Jose Rivera

Wood

Post by Jose Rivera »

Would it be Walnut?
Gerald C

Post by Gerald C »

the wood is walnut from Yuba City CA. I have just enough wood left over to make a butt & fore arm for my 1894 Win, I'm working on also!
Gerald Corey
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The color on my screen is a curly blondish wood. All the walnuts in my midwest area is red to purple hued, dark hearted with white sapwood exterior. Not much left here as it is no longer valued as a nut tree, so it is getting scarce. I have several volunteers that I am trying to preserve for the future here on my tree lines. They are from a neighbors tree orchard that he planted starts in and now the trees are too close. He is gone to Florida and the trees are slow growing because of crowding.

I have many oak shipping blocks of red and white variety, as oaks grow like weeds here in the midwest. Milling and reuse of this 'junk' wood is simple for me, and will be my chosen material for my base. I have some stock planed and dry in the garage shop some years now, that would be good for this use.

Is the base size traditional? taken from a plan or photo? Or is it just free lance?

So far my mount is in the thought process, therefore a freelance base. my tube is an 8.5 bore. So it seems a little larger than yours. I will be using hot rolled 1/2 inch steel rod, hot worked, ina blacksmiths way, to produce one continuous double handle down each side with flats hammered and drilled for short square headed lag bolts
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Gerald C

Big Dave

Post by Gerald C »

The wood is walnut, the bore is 4", we shoot a 16# shotput. here is a pic. of the first one built. mine is a little diff. because what we found out when we shot the first one in compition at Casper two years ago. here is a pic of the 94 i'm working on it is a rifle,not a carbine. Gerald CoreyImage

steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Nice shot of the shotput launcher. Saw it before but cant find the thread again.

Nice 94 too, is it reconditioned, or shop built? doesn't matter. It is a very NICE piece to brag on. Thanks for the view.
Gerald C

Post by Gerald C »

Dave, thanks for the comments, the rifle was one my dad had but I never seen him shoot it. now I know why, the barrel was rusted out, the receiver was so dirty you could not work it. I chambered a new barrel, draw filed the receiver. had to spot weld the mag tube , replace a lot of the screws. I'm getting ready to blue it and make a new stock.

Gerald
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Neet! I just love bringing back a rusty clunk back to working order. There is a big diference betweeen a relic and a working piece of history. I know what a labor of (love) trust this is on a personal level. Thanks for sharing.