First shots from my mortar

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Gerald C

First shots from my mortar

Post by Gerald C »

Well I finely got this project done. Me and my wife loaded it up and went and test fired it for the first time. The mortar ended up weighting 242#. then I add 4 bags of shot (100#) to it to help control recoil.
All this weight made me put a hoist on my trailer so I can load and unload the mortar. Here are a few pic. I took out shooting, we use 2 oz. of fff black powder for test. five rounds distance was 235, 247,259,263, left to right was about 24 yds. max.
Attachments
impact1.jpg
first shot1.jpg
thanks for looking and your comments. Gerald
thanks for looking and your comments. Gerald
Jose Rivera

Mortar

Post by Jose Rivera »

Smoke signal!!

That will get the enemy's attention :lol:

Nice job, what can I say.

Is there a video?
Is so, please post it on Your Tube so we can see it.

Thanks
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
steamin10

mortor

Post by steamin10 »

hey , cool. Uhh, where did all the trees and houses go? :lol:

242? Kinda makes ya wonder what the old cannon guys were made of.

Looks like fun, cant wait for my first shot.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

Nice job Gerald,

Mine only fires paint balls!

But this one fires two liter bottles.

And this one is for those big dog food cans.

Keep up the good pictures!

Kap
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.
todd goff

mortar

Post by todd goff »

These things sure are neat, maybe one day I will build one. I was wondering where you could find info on making these mortars or cannons? Did you cast it or machine it out of solid steel and if it was machined bet that piece of steel cost a little bit. Let me know as I would like to build one of these beauties one day. :lol:
Gerald C

mortor

Post by Gerald C »

The mortar is built in parts then welded together. the base is solid steel and a chamber is cut into it, also a step is cut so it will just fit in a thick wall tube (barrel), then it is weilded and then turned to size. then the back or chamber end is bored a half circle this holds the trunnion which is weled on, then ground to shape, plans are found on the net it's called a Coehorn Mortar.

Gerald C