Tool Height Gage

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

coal miner

Tool Height Gage

Post by coal miner »

Tool height has always been a problem to set for me to get it just right . Using the scale pinched between the tool and the work piece gets me pretty close most of the time , but still was not exactly dead on . So having got quite a collection of different sizes of neodymium magnets , thank you Frank Ford , I decided to make a coal miners special tool gage out of some scrap I had laying around . The magnet is a 3/4 D x 3/4 H which is plenty stout . It's super glued in to the bore w/ .015 " clearance from the bottom . A piece of 12L14 turned to 1.5" for the base , a piece of 3/4" sq, Al , some knurled nuts for positioning the Al bar on the 3/8 " threaded rod and a piece of 1/4 " rod threaded into the Al for the pointer . No rocket science here ! After setting the pointer to a cut off tool that I knew was dead nuts on checked some of the other QCTP holders that where being used and found all of them off , some of them off a lot .

Gerald C

Post by Gerald C »

Looks good , not a bad idea, did mine diff. but I might copy yours.

Gerald C
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hi Coal Miner,
Love your tool height setter. I use a Starrett surface guage I picked up from a box of stuff from a garage sale. Wouldn't have used it for that purpose but it was a extra one.

Jack.
garrettdave

Post by garrettdave »

Looks very good, I might be doing the same thing as Gerald and copying that design. Knurl looks good also.

Dave
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Thanks for the complements . Sometimes a piece actually works that I make . LOL Have to work on my knurling tho , it could be a lot better . After reading the posts on this subject I am getting some passable ones done . Again I want to express my thanks for the info shared on this site w/ people that know what they're doing . I have so much to learn .