Building an Power Hacksaw.

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

LA3PNA

Building an Power Hacksaw.

Post by LA3PNA »

As mentioned in another post on this forum i have bougt an Power Hacksaw kit from Blackgates Engineering in the UK.
The kit arrived today and I have been doing inventory and looking over it.
I like to inventory the parts when they arrive, and the courier is waiting. This way, if there is any defects in the castings those are returned before accepting the package.
As arrived the castings are in cast iron and there is not that many part so the build should be fairly easy and done in a couple of weekends. The exception is that my workshop is not built yet, but a lot of the parts just need some quick work with an file.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to make babbit bearings or just use some ball bearings. I would like to get some more experience with babbit bearings.

I'l try to make an post to this thread once in a while when I make some progress on the kit.
LA3PNA

Post by LA3PNA »

while I'm at it, does anyone know how sandblasting cast iron goes? What kind of sand should i use?

Best regards
Thomas
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

LA3PNA wrote:while I'm at it, does anyone know how sandblasting cast iron goes? What kind of sand should i use?
In the interest of health, I'd advise aluminum oxide. Silicon carbide would be more effective, but also more hazardous.

If your purpose is to improve overall appearance, you might find glass bead does the job you're looking for. All depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Wheelabrators are commonly used for cast iron. They propel steel shot.

Harold
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

My two cents here ... sand blasting or steel-shot can distort structures by adding stresses.

One may end up with a twisted part if not done right.

What size machine would that kit build?
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
LA3PNA

Post by LA3PNA »

Then I'l just try to use an steel brush and some cleaning to get the castings clean. There is a powder on the casting that I expect is from the casting process.

Jose: The kit makes an 3" stroke Power Hacksaw. The bar at top is about 22" long so this is an realy smal machine.
tomc

Post by tomc »

LA3PNA wrote:while I'm at it, does anyone know how sandblasting cast iron goes? What kind of sand should i use? Best regards Thomas
Instead of sand try walnut shells.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

LA3PNA wrote:Then I'l just try to use an steel brush and some cleaning to get the castings clean. There is a powder on the casting that I expect is from the casting process.

Jose: The kit makes an 3" stroke Power Hacksaw. The bar at top is about 22" long so this is an realy smal machine.
Looks like a really cool project !! 8)

As for cleaning the castings I don't have a good suggestion, but washing them with a solvent may do the trick.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
LA3PNA

Post by LA3PNA »

Since last post I have managed to do some:
Milled out the placement for the sliding bar in the hacksaw frame, this was difficult since my milling machine is to small. Also drilled and tapped the sliding bar and drilled the bar that stops the saw before it saws in to the bottom of the wise.
The saw is made for an 10" hacksaw blade, so it should fit my smal shop.

I have fitted the parts together to se how it could be:

I need to get the castings cleaned up a bit more, but since the shop is under remodelling it seems like I can't find a thing.

Best regards
Thomas.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Looking good, Thomas.

Be sure to show us the finished saw.

Good luck with the shop remodel.

Harold
websterz

Post by websterz »

Any updates?