Rocket Nozzle

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Dave_C

Rocket Nozzle

Post by Dave_C »

I thought some of you might have some interest in this rocket nozzle that I made for my brother in Iowa.

It fits a 3" X 24" motor that uses KNO3 and sugar as a propellant. Uses about 5# of fuel, goes to about 10,000 feet.

The Nozzle is made of 12L14 steel. The blank was about 4.375" X 2.875". I drew the drawings in VISIO to the specs I was given by the rocketeer and I actually hit them! (Surprise, :lol: )

It took me 7 hours to make this one. Actually about 2 hours worth of lathe work and 5 hours of scratching my head to figure out how to go about it.

It is a typical 60/30 inclusive angle C/D nozzle with a .620 throat and a 10:1 expansion ratio. Exit cone is 1.960" I think.

Sure was fun making it!

Dave C.
Attachments
MVC00029.JPG
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Looks like the nozzles we made for the hybrid rocket engine this past year....

The first one was made of steel and it burned out after 2 seconds.....It was burning polyethylene.

Nice work...

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very pretty work!

Harold
gmann109

Post by gmann109 »

Nice work. Reminds me of my past experiences working with engines in Aerospace.

Most liquid rockets have vernier engines with small thrust chambers like this one. They control the rotation of the missle. Some were liquid propellent like on the Atlas, Jupiter and Thor and others used piped exhaust gases like the Titan missile.

The verniers were on the sides of the main body of the missile and were moveable (gimballed). They were usually arond 1,000 pounds of thrust or less.
BobWarfield

Post by BobWarfield »

Andypullen wrote:Looks like the nozzles we made for the hybrid rocket engine this past year....

The first one was made of steel and it burned out after 2 seconds.....It was burning polyethylene.

Nice work...

Andy Pullen
Andy, did you use some other alloy to keep it from burning up?

Best,

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator Free:
http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html
Dave_C

Nozzle In progress

Post by Dave_C »

Here is a pic of the nozzle in progress. You can see the insert made to hold the right end of the nozzle while I turned the OD. It is cut to the same 30 degree taper as the nozzle so it fits very well. I had to put oil on it so it would come out after I got the OD done. Holds very well though.

Dave C.
Attachments
MVC00027.JPG
MVC00024.JPG
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.