some props I made at work

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

CANINDUST

some props I made at work

Post by CANINDUST »

They are props for a scale model they were running tests on. Material is nickle aluminum bronze. The surface area was the only important dimension.
the facets on the blades matched the solid model. The taped hole in the center is a 4-40.[/img]
Attachments
prop 2.jpg
prop1.jpg
There is 1000 ways to skin a cat

Some people grind a tool and work all day, some work all day grinding tool.

There is a difference between scratching your a__ and tearing is to pieces.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Want to describe the process for those that don't understand CNC operations?

Beautiful work! Was a ball end mill required, or could you do the job with a large radius end mill?

Harold
CANINDUST

Post by CANINDUST »

The customer gave me a 3D file (stl. file) I loaded is into my cad cam software (ESPRIT). In Esprit I can define my tool and machine and out put nc code for my cnc mill. In this case I turned the blanks in a lathe and made my hubs 12mm so that I could hold them in a collet block. Then holding them in the collet on my mill I dialed them in. Next I centerdrilled and drilled a hole threw the flange between the prop fins so when I flipped the part over I could locate the orientation of the fins. Then using .187 end mill I z level Finished them witch means I run the end mill around the fins say at every .005 thou on Z. If you can imagine a topographical map. the software will leave a stock allowance on them so these lines will be removed with finishing operations. I then used a 3mm endmill and then a 2mm extra long series end mill . This time spiraling in from the tips of the blades to the hub. Next I had to flip them over in in the collet chuck and dialed in the hole I had drilled from the other side. Then I rotated my solid file to the same orientation as the work in my machine and produce the code for the back side of the fins.

Now I knew that I would bend the fins with the pressure from machining so I made a ring that would set on top of my collet fixture and act as a dam. Then squirted hot glue behind the fins for support. Yes there was some snickering in the shop when I came in with my wife's glue gun but it worked perfectly. All that was left was to peel of the hot glue witch released in hot water and turn the radius on the hub.
There is 1000 ways to skin a cat

Some people grind a tool and work all day, some work all day grinding tool.

There is a difference between scratching your a__ and tearing is to pieces.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

That's fine looking work and sounds like good thinking on the fixturing and machining. Keep up the good work.

Don Young