recent machinery acquisitions

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Outboardguy44

recent machinery acquisitions

Post by Outboardguy44 »

Have been working on a few things, trying to help the garage evolve from serving only as an outboard storage facility and becoming more of a functional hobby machine shop.

I still have my 14 inch swing Cardiff lathe, but its too large for the garage so I found this 1959 vintage model 9A South Bend awhile back and hauled it home.

Since acquiring the SB I switched to a quick-change tool post and found some collets and a collet rack on Ebay.

While shopping for a small lathe I had seen this model 820 Logan but passed on it when I found the Cardiff.

Later I thought about the Logan again, but left it alone when the South Bend became available. Almost three years after I first looked at it, I finally broke down and bought the Logan, here it is after being gone through, repainted, and set up at home. Still have to relocate the on-off switch, not the safest place right there behind the chuck eh.

Also picked up a Delta drill press along the way, and found a heavy-duty stand for it at an engraving shop that was closing up. So, this is what my garage looks like now that the two-tiered motor rack has been removed and replaced with machinery.

I just finished building a wood storage bin that now sits underneath the Logan in place of the cardboard boxes shown in this picture. I used 2 X 2 pine for the frame and covered it with leftover oak floorboard scraps from a flooring project.

The machinist chest on the shelf is made by Union, I found it on Kijiji and bought it sight unseen for $40. The 5-drawer storage box on the right side of the picture is a Rayfield carburetor parts bin that I found at a yard sale, and the bigger wood cabinet beneath it (behind the big outboard) came from the same engraving shop as the stand that the Delta drill press is mounted on. The plain wood crate that is underneath the other two is a Champion spark plug crate that I bought at a local auction for $7, I use it to store my spare brass props as well as a stand for the other cabinet.

And still have room for a couple of outboards, the red & white one is a 1957 Mercury Mark 55 40 HP, the older antique is a 1931 Elto Super "C" with electric start that is good for 25 HP.
Chris S in C eh N eh D eh, where too many motors (or lathes) are never enough
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice and orderly. Well done.

Is it safe to assume you can still use the garage as a garage?

Harold
Outboardguy44

Post by Outboardguy44 »

Thank you, and the garage still has room for my wife's car. My truck sits outside though....
Chris S in C eh N eh D eh, where too many motors (or lathes) are never enough
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

At least you got the most importment thing in. (wifes car)
Jim
Armed Men are Citizens, Unarmed men are Subjects.
matthew_g

Post by matthew_g »

I must disagee, the most important thing is the machinery.!!!!
Nice collection you have started there..