Pic of shop & some projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

calgator wrote:I just finished the install of the DRO and scales on my lathe. Boy I'm glad I don't do this for a living, because I would starve. It took me about 40 hours to do it right.
Sure beats spending 20 hours doing it wrong and having to re-do it three times.

Nice shop and car project.

Steve
calgator

Post by calgator »

Who said I did not do it wrong the first time? I actually forgot about the clearance needed for bolts on the carriage, then forgot about including the clearance around the cover and tomorrow I will be installing the oiler but in a new location.
I should have modeled the project in the computer first but, nooooooooooo I thought I could just make some quick measurements and sketches, throw some chips around and viola the DRO fairy would come in the middle of the night and install it on my lathe. Of course it would only cost me my sanity :roll:
The best times were behind one of Al's engines
JackF

Post by JackF »

Beautiful job in the end. I will have to look to see if I can mount my cross slide scale in the front. Bought my lathe used and the scale came mounted on the back of the cross slide, blocking the gib screws. :(

Jack.
Last edited by JackF on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
calgator

Post by calgator »

Jack,

The very same reasons I mounted mine on the front but it also had another advantage. There were two screws in the carriage I was able to use a piece of scrap aluminum as an adaptor plate that also allowed me to raise and lower the reader as needed I then shimmed as needed to center it on the glass scale.
I then drilled and taped the cross-slide for an adaptor plate that that had to be slotted allowing it to move up and down as well for alignment purposes so I could make it run parallel to the carriage. Just pieces of advice, if you have a cold and are sneezing, don’t tap hard steel. :oops: I jerked the tap as it happened and broke it off in the cross-slide. :x Was not worth it to try and get it out so I just drilled a new whole ½” over and noted the modifications for the adaptor plate and waited until I was over my cold.
Now I’m on to make my own collet closer for my ETM ER-40 to mount in my lathe, since it is spring loaded I don’t need a fancy holding system just something that will cinch it into the spindle since it is quick to remove the collets from the locking plate. I will take better pictures next time.

Charles
JackF

Post by JackF »

Calgator,

Took a look at my cross slide and if I mount the scale to the front it will block access to the mounting holes for the travel rest. Looking at your set up I don't see where you mount your travel rest. I have never used mine to date but don't want to block access.

Jack.
calgator

Post by calgator »

I’ve never used the travel rest but I will probably drill holes for it and mount it to the rear of the carriage since its installation will not impact the oiling and the lock access that would be blocked by the scale. In actuality I did not think of it when installing the scale but still would not of had a choice.

I may work on it this weekend and will post pictures Monday.

Charles
JackF

Post by JackF »

Looking forward to the new pics.

Jack.
calgator

Re: Pic of shop & some projects

Post by calgator »

Jack,

Sorry been busy with school, will post in a couple of weeks once I finish the install.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Jack,

How long have you owned the '34?

It looks like it is progressing nicely!

The disadvantage to mounting the scale on the front of the cross slide is it will likely get whacked by the chuck jaws if you try to face or turn a larger dia. disc, or anything else, with the chuck jaws reversed.

The scale can also get swarf in it easier. Mine is on the back side and needs to be disassembled and cleaned about once a year. It amazes me what gets in there as it has a shield over it. I install the shield using a bit of silicone gasket sealer, and the scale itself is pretty well sealed up all around with the exception of rubber wipers on the bottom for the reader head to poke up through.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
calgator

Post by calgator »

I’ve set my carriage with a stop from the headstock protecting the scale. I’ve been using it for about 6 months without a problem but I will keep everyone informed.

Charles
JackF

Post by JackF »

calgator and Glen,

Thanks for reviving this thread. Glen, good points on scale location. calgator, if you mount the follow rest on the back of the cross slide it won't be opposite of the cutter thus I think mostly negating the reason for the follow rest. I see I haven't posted any new pic for a while, I'll see if I can't find some more. :) :)

Jack.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

I bought Wilson Welding hubs to adapt the Buick drums to the ford spindles but I could have machined the ford hubs to fit (although they would have been weaker).
I used Olds spindles, backers and brakes that I modified (lathe) and bushed for new king pins to the early Ford axle. 55 Olds to 32 Ford in about 1965, but still have both front and rear axles from that 32. The rear is a Chrysler carrier with 411 gears and 55 Olds stoppers. I need to find a rat rod builder that can appreciate the color of rust and pass this stuff on. It was your photos JackF that woke up some thought. :wink: Steve
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.