Tail Stock for Spin Indexer

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

coal miner

Tail Stock for Spin Indexer

Post by coal miner »

I have been wanting a tail stock for my 5C spin indexer . So looked at a lot of pics and figured that I could build one to do for my needs . Mainly to embellish Maglites parts and other cylindrical items that have been anodized to add some personal touches to them . Had some Al scraps that were utilized . The adjustment rod is .500 drill rod threaded to 20 tpi w/ a 60 degree taper for snugging up . The base is .625" x 3" x 6.00 Al and the up right is a 1.00" x 3" x 6.00" piece of Al that has a 2.00" x .500" deep slot milled to accept the vertical 2.00" x2.500" adjustment piece . This is the maiden try . Not to bad to align w/ DTI , everything snugged with some taps from the dead blow to get everything as it should be . Actually was a little surprised how quick things dialed in vertical and horizontally .

Dialing in a small custom lite body .

Making some patterns using a ball end mill spinning as fast as the G3616 will spin , cuts are only .005" deep

The finished lite . It will get 3 CR123A 3V batteries and a XPG - Q5 LED emitter for the lite source . Should put your eyes out .

All in all I think the tail stock will come in handy with the spin indexer with a lot less weight than a rotary table . It won't be as accurate . but for 1 degree increments it will work for me . Gona have to drop it in to be anodized , will help the sliding surfaces .
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice job!

Harold
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Looks good.

Richard W.
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

I like it. I just ordered a spin indexer and was wondering what I was going to do for a tailstock, now I know. Good job Coal Miner

Good job on the light too.
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Threw the tail stock in the anodizing bath along w/ the cross bars on the chuck keys . Used a flycutter to get all the flats on it nice and smooth . Thank you Harold for teaching me to grind a proper bit .

737 mechanic your piece for attaching the DRO looks very nice . I seem to design pieces that function ok , but have very little form . The one you made has both .
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

coal miner wrote:Thank you Harold for teaching me to grind a proper bit .
The credit belongs to you. It works that way when one has a good student.

Nice! Very nice, indeed!

Harold