Finished Bridgeport mill.

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

DFWKen

Finished Bridgeport mill.

Post by DFWKen »

Now, I'm going to have to learn how to use this thing. After stripping every part out of it, stripping, cleaning, filling, priming, sanding, and painting, it's time to use it. I borrowed a rotary phase converter and started the mill yesterday for the first time. It sounds very smooth, no rumbling or worn-out bearing noise. Both speed ranges work; as well as the spindle power feed and trip lever assemblies. I have no tooling at all; not even a vise. But, I have bids on a couple on Ebay. Also have a bid on some R-8 collets and a couple of other things.

For me, half the fun of a home hobbyist shop is the accumulation and refurbishing of the tools. The other half is the learning how to use them properly to fabricate parts that didn't exist before my processing.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Finished Bridgeport mill.

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Hey! How did you get my machine! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Seriously, nice job!
Marty
with 'nuther white BPT
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
DFWKen

Re: Finished Bridgeport mill.

Post by DFWKen »

It was a fun job and really didn't take too long. The head only took a couple of days. (any longer and I might have forgotten how to put it all back together!)

Anyway, it's off-white (to distinguish it from yours). I had big plans of documenting the process in photos like you did, especially disassembly and reassembly of the head. BUT, I got to working and forgot. Then, it was too late. You pictures were a big help, though.

This evening, I've been cleaning, polishing, and blueing the 3/4" bolts and nuts that secure the head, ram, etc.for contrast. They look good against the bright castings.