CNC Mill Move

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

CNC Mill Move

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

I recently aquired a Ganesh 10x54 knee mill with Mitutoyo Millstar III Retrofit. Here are some pictures of the move and the mill.
http://picasaweb.google.com/marty.escarcega/CNCMillMove#
Harold_V

Re: CNC Mill Move

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for the pics, Marty.
I'm amazed at the amount of stuff you have in such a confined area. Great planning!

Harold
AlphaGeek

Post by AlphaGeek »

Glad I read this -- filed away more than a few ideas in the engineering notebook from move pics.

I'm normally not a big fan of Bridgeport-type CNC conversions, but man, that one is really really nice. The elegant simplicity of the implementation, clean wiring, and all of the conversion-parts fitments all scream of top-quality work. It's also nice to see a shiny modern CNC controller on a small-shop machine that's not an arcane, CRT-display monstrosity with yellowed plastic and no manual. :)

-AG
Rule number one: Everything takes longer and costs more.
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Marty,
One caption mentions "I do not have full travel of the mill. But I don't think I will really ever need 35" of travel.".
I think you may have a problem, some CNC go thru a full travel on every axis when resetting, exercising or initializing. I hope nothing is in the way.
I have no knowledge of your machine's software, so this may not be of concern.

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

mechanicalmagic wrote:Marty,
One caption mentions "I do not have full travel of the mill. But I don't think I will really ever need 35" of travel.".
I think you may have a problem, some CNC go thru a full travel on every axis when resetting, exercising or initializing. I hope nothing is in the way.
I have no knowledge of your machine's software, so this may not be of concern.

Dave J.
Dave, the Mitutoyo Millstar homes differently. It won't be an issue for me. :D
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

You might check the tool change position, as some go to a corner for that.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Glen, the Millstar control has you home the machine this way.
Take the machine to what would be X0,Y0 manually. Press the XY home function. The Mitutoyo glass scales have marks every 50mm on the scale it begins to hunt for the nearest mark. That becomes home. I can artificially call any point X0,Y0, the machine will slowly hunt for the next closes mark. Its odd but it works in my favor. A friend tells me you should have just set it up to have full travel. As you can see from my photos, space is at a premium. IF it be comes an issue, I'll raise the machine and do the Egyption roll..... :mrgreen:
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

AlphaGeek wrote:Glad I read this -- filed away more than a few ideas in the engineering notebook from move pics.

I'm normally not a big fan of Bridgeport-type CNC conversions, but man, that one is really really nice. The elegant simplicity of the implementation, clean wiring, and all of the conversion-parts fitments all scream of top-quality work. It's also nice to see a shiny modern CNC controller on a small-shop machine that's not an arcane, CRT-display monstrosity with yellowed plastic and no manual. :)

-AG
Thanks AG. I feel very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to own this machine. A good friend worked with me on it. It is a 10x54" knee mill, about 1/3 as much the size of a Bridgeport. Mitutoyo did a wonderful job on this control. The only thing proprietary is the console. It houses a standard industrial PC. The keys on the display seem to correspond to keys on a standard PC Keyboard. Display is a flat panel LCD. Machine was born in 2002, the control installed shortly thereafter. Unfortunately Mitutoyo Japan cancelled the program. This was the product of Mitutoyo USA. All parts are still available through Galil and Glentek.

Marty
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Hello Marty,

I was not referring to homing the machine in my previous post.

On my machine, which is not the same as yours, when you call for a M06 tool change, the table rapids all the way to the right and toward you to allow clearance from the part to access the spindle.

You might want to keep a hand on the e-stop the first time you call up an M06 if you are not sure where the tool change position is!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Glenn Wegman wrote:Hello Marty,

I was not referring to homing the machine in my previous post.

On my machine, which is not the same as yours, when you call for a M06 tool change, the table rapids all the way to the right and toward you to allow clearance from the part to access the spindle.

You might want to keep a hand on the e-stop the first time you call up an M06 if you are not sure where the tool change position is!
Good morning Glenn, point well taken, I believe it is the same place as yours.X0,Y0, but if I manage to put a hole in the wall, I'll be sure to take a picture and say I was forewarned! :oops:

What kind of machine do you have Glenn?
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Good Morning Marty,

You're up early!

I have a Tree with a Dynapath control. Great old dinosaur!

What I was trying to say is that the tool change position is different than the home position on mine so it could fool you into a hole in the wall :)

I flew over you twice last week, had to spend a day in the San Diego, CA area, a bit too high to see the machines though :)
Glenn

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn Wegman wrote:I was not referring to homing the machine in my previous post.

Mark taught me to remove the X0-Y0 commands for tool changes---but I also have a huge amount of Z travel, so I don't have any clearance issues. May not work for machines with limited travel on the spindle.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.