Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio »

Just before I left for vacation I bought an endmill sharpener. I paid plenty for it, as they don't come around often, and can only hope it will do a good job. It is missing a couple of small parts, and I am in the process of acquiring and making what I need to get it operational.

This is the first part. It is a simple flange that holds the wheels on the machine.
20150703_231332a.jpg
20150703_231324a.jpg
The machine with the new part installed.
20150703_225811a.jpg
20150703_225823a.jpg
The beauty of this, is that parts are getting easier to make. Meaning I am getting better at only having to make the part once. :)

The next piece that I need, hold the finger in place. I also need a couple of spring washer for it. I will order the washers.

More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Last job for the South Bend Lathe!

These are some rivets made of 304 SS. A friends has a polishing business and is working on a 1968 clam shell Rivera. These rivets are the hinges for the clam shell head light covers. The originals he had to drill out so he could polish the parts.
20150824_213248a.jpg
I also made the driver from 304 stainless, so the more he hits it the harder it should get. :)
20150824_213951a.jpg
They look better in real life than up close in the photo. Up close one can see where the center hole did not get deburred, and the finish looks worst up close.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Nice job Pat, did you try a test on one to see how well it mashes? Is that what the old ones were made from?

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Jack, yes and yes!
I don not have the actual parts to test them on, but I did do a test on a scrap piece of metal I had laying around.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Patio wrote: The beauty of this, is that parts are getting easier to make. Meaning I am getting better at only having to make the part once. :)
Nothing like gettin' into a rhythm! Trust me..... :D

Nice work!

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Bill, "Some days your the fly and some days your the windshield". He needed 8 pieces and wanted 10, I made about 20 to get the 10. 5 of them were utter scrap and the other 5 may work but where not to spec. :roll:

New to me lathe coming this weekend. Once installed I will have to learn how it works. Kind of a start over type of thing. I will also need to make and buy some more tooling, to get back up to speed.

Always an adventure! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Just realized that I had not concluded the post for the cutter grinder finger mount. It is done and I will post some pictures down the road. I bought some spring washers, came by the bag, at a cost of about 38 bucks. Those are now some expensive washers.
I was starting to learn how to use the machine, and have significantly shortened a two flute end mill in the process, with only a little bit of progress for my efforts.

I am in the process of moving in a new to me lathe, so there will not be much progress here in the near future.
That post can be seen here!
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 2&t=101892

Lots to do, and winter is coming fast.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Making soft jaws for the Cazeneuve lathe chuck.
20150915_212620a.jpg
I also am having to make an adapter for the tool post mount. The lathe has a European style mount. That is where the post mounts to a rod that is threaded into the compound. The threaded hole in the compound is 3/4"X16 and the post needs a 1/2"X20 threaded hole. I am going to use a 3/4" bolt, cut off the end, bore out the middle and thread it, to make the adapter. I will use the softjaws to set this up, so everything will be concentric once finished.
There is no T-nut slot. Once mounted the tool post can be rotated but not moved. I not sure how well I like this feature. The T-slot seems more adaptable to different types of operations.

More tooling coming by truck, so I will be able to drill a hole.
I am going to make a system that will allow me to use the original speed control lever, (it use to run the hydraulics) to turn a potentiometer, to control the speed through the VFD. I have a plan, we will see how it goes.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

This is a story of mistakes, learning and persistence. With Harold's help, I ended up with things sorted out.
I bought a Hardinge-Sjogren 5C collet chuck for the Cazeneuve lathe, on EBay. It is a plain back chuck with a D1-5 adapter mounted to the back of it. I installed it on the lathe and took some measurements. It had about a .001" of run out in the opening of the chuck. I removed the chuck from the adapter and machined the face and spigot of the adapter in situ. I mounted the chuck back up and found I now had between .001" and .005", changing each time I installed the chuck. This we figured was due to the machining I had done to the spigot. So I made a ring out of 1018 6"X6"X1/2" plate. It took me Four times to get it right! :roll:
I started by facing the outside diameter of 5.125" first, then bored out the inside diameter of 4.997" and then parted the ring off of the plate, running the lathe in reverse and parting the backside of the bore. After the first one and a talk with Harold, I used a facing operation to remove the bore material. It worked really well. One of the wonderful feature of this lathe, is the ability to move the compound, fore and aft on the carriage. This allows me to move the tool way past center, towards the back of the machine.
Here are some pictures that will help to understand the process.

The top one was the first one and came out ok, but I messed the ring up, while trying to sweat it onto the adapter. The bottom one show the ring and the plate that it came from.
20160131_173851a.jpg
Started by drilling a hole, for the tool to fit into.
20160121_165936a.jpg
Video of the drilling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjTntP_Do4

Facing cuts to open the I.D. of the ring.
20160121_173617a.jpg
The tooling.
20160131_154120a.jpg
Face the O.D.
20160131_161351a.jpg
Continued in next post!
Last edited by Patio on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Parted the ring off of the plate.
20160117_132835a.jpg
The parting tool.
20160117_131846a.jpg
The ring.
20160117_133427a.jpg
The compound set in the forward and aft postions, allowing the tool to go a good distance past the center line of the lathe. This feature will also allow me to mount fixtures in place of the compound.
20160117_132042a.jpg
20160117_132051a.jpg
Continued below!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I then sweated the ring onto the adapter. Getting the ring onto the adapter took a bit of doing. I had problems the first time getting it hot enough and when I attempted to put the ring on, it got out of shape. The second time I took the damaged ring and threw it in the wood stove for a minute. That got it hot enough, and maybe a bit to hot, creating scale. Either way she was to far damage to hold the spigot tight enough to machine. After three more tries, I had another ring to try. This time I put the ring in the oven, (with the wife's blessing) and heated it to 500 *F. She went right on and seated tightly. I machined the ring and took a slight face cut too.
20160203_164246a.jpg
With this all done, I installed the chuck back onto the spindle of the lathe and took some measurements. I was now .001" to .005", depending on which time I mounted the chuck. This happened because I had made some assumptions about where the run out was. I removed all the cam lock pins from the adapter and set it against the spindle and found I could feel a concentric movement. I talked with Harold a bit more and he came up with the idea of using plastic gauge to measure the fit of the adapter to the spindle. In doing so I discovered there was a .003" gap, in the taper. This means the adapter was meeting with the face of the spindle before the taper was seating. Through some calculations I need to remove .0122" off for the taper to seat. I took the adapter and slid it around on my surface plate to reveal the high spots on the back face of the adapter. I used those high spots to indicate the chuck, with the back facing out, in the four jaw chuck, and then I took facing passes until the face cleaned up. I then installed the chuck back on the spindle, took a small facing cut, left the spigot alone as it was running less than .0005", mounted the chuck and took some measurements. She now has a consistent run out of about .0005". If I wanted to get it better, I would turn the new ring off of the adapter, make another one and install and turn it. I am good with it as it is now. I find that my collets, (cheapos) have more run out in them, than the chuck does.

I learned a lot about the lathe and finding run out, so it is not lost time in the scheme of things, just in project time and I don't know I will ever have enough of that anyway.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Pat, I love it when the learning process actually teaches you some thing. :) :) Good job and Kudos to Harold for helping out. :wink: :) :)

Jack.