Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio »

Thanks Gman,
Trying to get things as exact as possible, all the time, is a virtue instill in me by Harold V., and I am grateful for the knowledge also.

Post some pictures of your projects, we all love to see what the other guy is doing. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Gman, I see that, that was your first post! Welcome to the board! There are a great bunch of guys here, that have knowledge, covering a broad range of subjects, not just machine work. They are fairly open about sharing it too.
The resource library is a great place to learn things that have been discussed here in the past.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=44

Enjoy!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
gman6011

Post by gman6011 »

Thanks, I will check that out. I've had the small lathe over a year now and haven't actually had much time to do anything with it besides a few knobs and bushings. I am currently building a storm shelter to install in the garage floor and trying to wrap up home projects to sell the house, hopefully within the next year. That equals no fun for someone with very limited time off. I do however have plenty of time at work to look at all the stuff I would like to do. Go figure.

George
Patio

Post by Patio »

Gman, I am also still employed, although it is by me. So I understand the lack of shop time, but there are weekends. :)

This weekend I got some time in the shop, here is the results.

I needed to make a top motor mount for the Sportster, a new one is 23+ dollars, mine cost 7 bucks and some time.

I did a test with the brake press head I made for hydraulic press. This is a piece of 1/4"X 1 1/4" flat stock that started life as a angle brace from the local hardware store.
20150118_103726a.jpg
20150118_105145a.jpg
This is the finished upper motor mount.
20150118_125052a.jpg
It turned out well and I am happy with it.
More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Next thing I made this weekend was a coil mount for the Sportster, it sits under the gas tank.

More cutting of metal with some bending and drilling.

Started by cutting the metal with jig saw, then to the belt sander to smooth the edges and round the corners.
20150118_160509a.jpg
I had the idea of making it an omega shape to fit the backbone of the bike, so I drilled both ends for the coil to mount between, then bent the ends up and bend the U shape to fit the backbone.
20150118_162959a.jpg
20150118_163808a.jpg
That all went well enough until I started test fitting it and realized that I would not be able to get the part on and off the bike's backbone, because the metal will be to stiff. :oops: After some thought I came up with a way to make it work. I ended up cutting one of the mounting flanges off the part and using it as a backer for a one sided mount.

Here is the finished product.
20150118_174511a.jpg
Mounted on the backbone of the bike.
20150118_174914a.jpg
More picture below!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Here it is with the tank set in place.
20150118_175535a.jpg
In this picture you can see where the new motor mount will go, from the front brace to the upper bracket,, between the heads, below the gas tank.
Kind of got into the metal fab this weekend and had a good time doing it. It is the second time I have used the press to make parts. I am going to make a guard for the grinder soon, out of the same metal scrap with an al. hub to cover the end of the spindle.

More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Looks like I skipped a couple of projects. :oops:

Here is one I put together for work. It is a VFD in a box with and fan and thermostat to keep things cool. It is used to drive a small conveyor belt.
20150111_152203a.jpg
They had a pulley that fit on the old gearbox, but the center bore was to small for the new gearbox. So I took it home and bored out the center and deepened the key way. Cutting the keyway deeper gave me some trouble, as the tooling I was using was only 1/4" X 1/4" and would flex when going into the hole. The parting blade is stiff enough to get the tool to cut nicely.
MrPete222 (aka Tublcain), on YouTube, had done a video of doing it on a lathe.
Here is that link! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR1pvQYFFck

Here is a picture of my go at it.
20150113_204135a.jpg
It went well enough and is sitting on my desk for the next trip down to them. :)

More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I got some time in the shop this past weekend, so I make a guard for the bench grinder. It came with only one.
Here are the pics.
Started here, using the original for a pattern.
20150201_124119a.jpg
Used the grinder and some files to do the outside contour, and drilled a hole in the center for the nut on the grinder spindle to fit through. Then I turned a cap on the lathe, to go over the hole, in the plate, to cover the spindle nut. I drilled and tapped the holes in the cap, before I parted it off. My chuck threads onto the lathe and I made a spindle adapter, so I can thread it on to the dividing head. This allows me to turn an adapter in place, that remains concentric, as it never leaves the chuck.

This is the cap, getting located under the mill spindle to the bolt hole pattern can be drilled. I turned an arbor to hold the plate and used the same bolt hole pattern so they would match.
20150201_145639a.jpg
20150201_200511a.jpg
You can see where the dividing head had moved between setups, causing me to drill a couple of extra holes.

I used some 6-32 screws, counter sunk the holes and ground the heads off flat one they were installed so get enough clearance from the spindle washer. It worked out real well and only one of the extra holes shows, when everything is installed.

Finished pics.
20150201_203334a.jpg
Original guard.
20150201_203346a.jpg
More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have spent a bunch of time in the shop working on the Sportster, most of it on the kicker ratchet mechanism. I had the need to acquire some spacer that are .007" thick with a .750" ID. I could order some and wait another 4 days, as the local shop does not carry them. I have spent plenty of time waiting for parts in the last few weeks and was not looking forward to another week of delay progress. I knew I had some cam shim that come in .005" and .007" thicknesses. I dug them out and found the OD to be large enough to work but the ID to be to small. So basically, all I needed to do was bore out, a .007" thick shim washer, without destroying it. After consulting with Harold about how I might have some success with this project, this is how I got it done.

I needed to make a fixture to capture the shim in all directions, and doing it on the lathe will allow me to create a pocket that will have a flat bottom (for the shim), turn a washer to capture the shim and bore it to size.

I started by making the washer, .010"to .020" smaller than the OD of the shim.
20150220_190721a.jpg
Once I had parted off the washer I faced the fixture and tried to drill and tap, two 1/4"X20 holes with out much success. I took fixture out of the lathe and placed it the vise of the mill for the drilling and tapping operations and it went well.
20150220_200056a.jpg
I put the fixture back in the lathe and faced it off again, so the new face would be perpendicular the axis of the lathe. The I bore a pocket for the shim that was about .020" deep and .010" larger than the shim.
Here is the shim in the fixture.
20150220_201359a.jpg

With the washer installed.
20150220_201644a.jpg
Then I bored the hole deep enough to get a telescoping gage into I could measure the ID.
20150220_203609aa.jpg
More to come, but this page is full so go to the next post down, to see the finished part!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Continued from above!

Here the washer has been remove and the part is still in the fixture.
20150220_203647a.jpg
The part on the kicker shaft for the bike.
20150220_204046a.jpg
And finally, the part is setting in place.
20150220_204052a.jpg
After I removed the part, cut a second one with out changing any adjustments on the lathe. The second part came out as good as the first.

The project went well and I am happy as can be about it. It only took a couple hours to do, and not having to wait for a part is priceless. :)

More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Good procedure and good write up. I like it!
Don Young
JackF

Post by JackF »

Ditto Don. :D Thanks Pat and Harold for showing again how to overcome a seemingly difficult job. :wink: :)

Jack.