Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Patio's projects

Post by Patio »

I think I have most of the working parts in the model now. I may mess with refining the parts for appearance. I also might mess with it to see how animated I can make it. :) But I have enough to be able to produce drawings, with dimensions, so I can take them to the shop, while making the parts.
Most everything.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I started to make the Pulley bracket this morning.
I have a bunch of 1"X5" extruded aluminium, so that is what I will use for most of the brackets.
Cut a section out on the table saw.
20180414_114850a.jpg
I spend a lot of time practicing hitting different measurements, while roughing things out. In the process, I lost track of where I was headed and ended up with a nice piece that was to small and a bunch of chips. That took care of my morning.
This is only .625 inches tall and needs to be 1.25" tall. :oops:
20180414_151705a.jpg
Back to the table saw and cut another piece, close to size. Then after a couple of hours, (Yep I am slow at this) I ended up with this for the day.
20180414_192138a.jpg
20180414_211952a.jpg
It does not look like it, but I removed the same amount of material from all sides, using roughing passes and then finished it.
Tomorrow I will remove the extra from the ends and finish them.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Nice work Pat.

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Jack, I hope you are enjoying your new home.

This is the work I finished last night. The O.D. of the pulleys is .5".
20180415_185244a.jpg
The bearings are going to be pressed into the pulleys, and I had intended to press the axles into the bearings also, but once I had given them a little bit a polish, they ended up a nice close fit. I will locktite the axles in to keep it all together.

Tonight I finished the pulley bracket.
20180416_212216a.jpg
I did a little draw filing to improve the finish and debur the edges, not that it matters to the function of things.

Tomorrow I hope to install the bearings and start on the Base and potentiometer bracket.

None of the parts have been made without mistakes, but they are good enough for what I am doing, it is just frustrating when I bozo something up.
More to come, I hope!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Getting closer.
This may give everyone a better idea of how the thing should work.
20180418_215939a.jpg
I did change the way the base and pulley bracket mount to each other. Originally the pulley bracket would have been bolted to the bottom of the base. I created a slot in the base for the pulley bracket to mount in, and it will be secure with a couple of set screws, that will come up from the bottom. This will allow me to adjust where the base will mounts on the pulley bracket.
I need to make the potentiometer mounting bracket and the main mounting brackets next.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

More progress!
20180419_215913a.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hi everyone. I have been making more progress on the speed control. I still have to adjust the weight for the system and the length of the line. I also need to make an adjuster for where the system connects to the linkage on the lathe, that will allow me to adjust where 0 rpm will be. But for now, here is a video that will help to understand how the whole thing is going to work. Once I have it installed I will make another video of it in operation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfzzn6t ... e=youtu.be

I am getting closer.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I am enjoying following this project Pat.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I woke up this morning with the realization that the design has a "fatal flaw". Machine designs need to be able to fail in a safe mode, this will not. If the line from the lever to the mechanism broke, the lathe would go to full speed and with this lathe that is around 3000 rpm. Back to the drawing board for me.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Patio wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:01 am I woke up this morning with the realization that the design has a "fatal flaw". Machine designs need to be able to fail in a safe mode, this will not. If the line from the lever to the mechanism broke, the lathe would go to full speed and with this lathe that is around 3000 rpm. Back to the drawing board for me.
Brings to mind the carburetor return spring.
Gregg
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Could you put a limit switch that is kept closed when there is tension on the cable and if is detects a broken cable it opens the circuit to the control thus killing power?
Gregg
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Maybe just a simple NO micro switch. A roller tip model could be modified with a grooved roller like a pulley to avoid rubbing on the cable as it operates.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper