Worthy Afternoon Project

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH

alphawolf45

Worthy Afternoon Project

Post by alphawolf45 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:57 am

Made matched set of 3 small V blocks..Helps me to have three matched v blocks to mill a round rifle barrel into a tapered octagon...I made these from A-2 and then hardened them and made little walnut block to store them in..Have used them on 4 barrels so far and very happy with them...Cant buy set of three in this size far as I know but easily made and handy,handy,handy,handy :D
Attachments
100_4476.JPG
100_4499.JPG
100_4502.JPG
100_4547.JPG

Russ Hanscom

Re: Worthy Afternoon Project

Post by Russ Hanscom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Nice work, and a good tip.

alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:02 am

Russ Hanscom wrote:Nice work, and a good tip.
I am sorta glad I didnt get asked to explain how did I start with a round barrel blank and end up with a tapered octagon..
Its something a sharp fellow can easily figure out for himself and yet would be tough for me to explain it for the folks who cant figure it out for themselves..Apparently you are all of the sharp sorts of guys :)
I begin a few days free to work on my Allen Boxlock action muzzleloading build....There just nothing better than playing in ones own workshop..

RickBarb

Post by RickBarb » Mon May 02, 2011 10:12 am

I recently made a tapered octagon barrel for a muzzle loading pistol out of a piece of an old Martini Cadet barrel. I did it with a set of vee blocks and two pieces of 1"x1"x1" aluminum bar an a piece of threaded rod (small enough to go through the bore). Drill and tap the two aluminum blocks. Turn a spigot on each block to fit the bore of the barrel. Calculate how much taper you want on the barrel. Reduce one of the blocks by milling it on all four sides insuring that it is square. In my case the barrel was 8" long with one block being 1" square and the other being .875" square. Put one block in one end of the barrel and the other block in the other end and clamp them together using the threaded rod. Clamp the assembly in the mill and mill the barrel on four sides by rotating the assembly 90 degrees after each cut. After four flats have been milled, set the aluminum blocks in the vee blocks (thereby rotating the whole assembly by 45 degrees from the previous cuts), clamp down and mill the other four flats. Worked very well for me.

Rick