A hinge for the wife and a lite for me

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

coal miner

A hinge for the wife and a lite for me

Post by coal miner »

When we built our house 26 yrs ago , the kitchen was out fitted with honest made Amish cabinetry made by a local cabinet maker . The wife's pride and joy was a built in pantry that had swing out storage sections on both sides , inside the doors , the back of the pantry had regular shelves . One set of hinges gave up the ghost and crashed the storage door to the bottom . Two hinges were stripped and the third was mangled and was broke beyond repair . The old cabinet maker had passed on and none of the makers or lumberyards had any thing close that would support the weight . So I thought , a nice little project and it will make the wife happy that all that expensive stuff in the shop can make something for her . It turned into one of those projects that went on and on . After adding to the scrap box several times , finally got them done .

This is her cabinet .

The first one roughed out and raw material behind . Factory hinge beside it .

All done and blued up to look good . 1/8 " drill rod hinge pin , the oem was .090" so this ought last as long . One thing is that the hinges will not bend or break like the old ones .

all three .

Hope I outlive the other side !

Now my new lite . Had an extra emitter and switch , so whipped up another flashlite for a pocket carry light . Nice size and light weight .

All the threads are 20 tpi , except the switch - 28 tpi . The great thing about led's is the amount of light they give off compared to a regular lite . 7075 for the body and 6061 for the rest .

Together and the size is about right to slip in your pocket .

All polished up .

The more I learn , The more I don't know !
Russ Hanscom

Re: A hinge for the wife and a lite for me

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Nice fix, our shops do have their uses.