Panhead rebuild project...

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, JackF

Harold_V
Posts: 16867
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:02 pm
Location: Onalaska, WA USA

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by Harold_V » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:07 am

Looking good, patio.
Did you ever discover the source of the noise in the engine (the squeal)?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

JackF
Posts: 1529
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:56 pm
Location: Caldwell, Idaho

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by JackF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 am

Good job Pat. :D When you pulled back into the yard after the run around the block I heard sirens, then noticed you pull into the shop right away. :? :wink: Tell me that wasn't Barney chasing after you. :shock: :wink: :lol:


Jack.

Patio
Posts: 1108
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:14 pm
Location: Centralia Wa

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by Patio » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Halorld, I believe the noise was a bronze bearing in the cam chest that had not gotten oil yet. I have not heard any squeals or other worrisome noises, since that initial starting of the motor.

Jack, the sirens are from a business located near by. They were going off for quite some time. They would reset every so often and then start all over again. I call the police and they may have done something, because they did not last much longer. I may ride bikes, but I do try to keep my nose clean. :)

Thanks for all the nice comments.
I am now eagerly waiting for clear days so I can get some break-in miles on the bike. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!

User avatar
neanderman
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:15 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by neanderman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:15 am

Ride safely!
Ed

Le Blond Dual Drive
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"

Patio
Posts: 1108
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:14 pm
Location: Centralia Wa

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by Patio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:21 am

A little update on the Panhead.
I have found the cause of the squeal I experienced when starting the bike for the first time. The front rocker arm support was galled. I have also discovered that the heads had some issues with galled valves and cracked valve guides. Both heads are in the shop getting rebuilt. I should get them back soon. In the mean time I have been building prototyping a set of foot controls, that fit me and function better than the original set up. I have acquired a used speedometer, from a swap meet this past weekend and will try to graft it onto the bike in the future. I have been using an app on my smart phone for speed and distance. I will get some pictures together of the process soon, too. I have about 40 miles on it at this moment. Only another 460 more to break it in.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!

Patio
Posts: 1108
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:14 pm
Location: Centralia Wa

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by Patio » Thu May 24, 2018 12:47 am

Update on the Panhead!
I got the heads back from the shop and they are installed. I did some repairs on the rocker cover nuts. Gave it a few test runs and seem to have a problem with the getting enough oil in the front hydraulic lifters.
I have taken the oil pump apart, measured everything, messaged some mating surfaces and assembled it all back together. The pressure valve seemed a bit tight, so it got a nice polish too.
This it the setup I used to hold the shuttle for polishing. I turned a piece of wood, with a slight press fit.
20180522_095237a.jpg
The problem still exists. It is not severe or constant. I feel like there is some sort of restriction of the oil flow ,and am going to look at a couple of fittings that could be a problem. We will see!?
The primary drive on this bike came with a chain drive between the motor and clutch basket, it has a belt on it now. When the chain was on it, it was oiled through, passages in the motor cases, that are part of the crankcase ventilation ( breather system). The passage is also one of the crankcase bolt holes, and is 5/16" on one end and .553" on the other. The PO had used a washers and an acorn nut on each end and it would leak oil and not hold well. The acorn nut was crushing on washer in the .550" end. I made a O-ring bushing for the large end used copper washers under the nuts, to seal the holes.
This is a picture of the bushing.
20180521_202232a.jpg
This is the bushing in place, in the engine case, behind the primary belt cover.
20180521_203218a.jpg
Lots of projects going on, and the weather is getting nice. So it is a little time, switched between all the projects, at the moment. But things keep moving forward, and that is a good thing. :)
Just went on a memorial ride, up to the Mt Saint Helens, Johnson Ridge Observatory, in Washington state, with some 300-400 other bikes. The friend that puts this on, does it because, he and his dad where scheduled to be on watch, when something came up and they traded their watch time with another gentleman, the night the mountain blew. The gentlemen did not make it. 56 other people lost there lives that night. I had not moved to the state at that time, so I did not witness any of it.
More to come as I get things figured out!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!

Post Reply