home made motorcycles (more, more, more)!!!

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

stephen Thomas

home made motorcycles (more, more, more)!!!

Post by stephen Thomas »

John, for some reason the software today will not let me respond to your post directly. The space for username is blank (does not exist), and when I try to post, it kicks back "you can't use that kind of name on this forum" or words to that effect.

Anyway, I for one would love to see more of the motorcycle pictures and articles. IMO, this is essential stuff! It would be great to hear any notes on tools and equipment, and any interesting procedures that were used. From someone that accomplished, it would be treat to also hear any personal notes. I used to have access to Model Engineer, and usually can get Classic Bike and Classic Cycle on the newstands. It never ceases to amaze me what some people in the UK can contrive, often with very limited kit or facilities.

Anyway, don't stop now. And if you can get the gentleman to put together a memoir, or even tape him through a few interviews, I believe it would be a worthwhile resource, as least inspirationally.

smt
J_Tiers

Re: home made motorcycles (more, more, more)!!!

Post by J_Tiers »

Agreed, go for it, more more more please
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Sorry I missed it. I see nothing in the beginning of this thread. I hope there is still a link to it bypassing the name issue.

I did not delete it. Must be a software block if the name is objectionable.

DC
John_Stevenson

Post by John_Stevenson »

SMT,
Perhaps you were not able to post because on this posting your are down as unregistered?
Doug,
The original post isn't in yhis thread but in a post just called Home Made Motorcycle engines.

I can get back to the original post so I'll carry on later on the original thread.

In the early days Dennis was a bit of a funny guy, somedays he's discuss things with you, others he wouldn't.
Added to the fact that like a lot of us living in that period we didn't realise we were making history and little or no records were kept.
I got interested in the 70's when I found an old 250 twin engine in an old workshop. I subsequantly bought this and followed the history thru.
Fortunately Dennis only lives about 5 miles from me and I was able to contact him and over the years have managed to piece a lot of the history thru.
I have supplied photo's and details to a couple of magazines and articles have been printed on these bike [s]
I have put bike [s] in brackets as at no time was there more than two running bikes as he used to swop cycle parts around to save remaking them. Those centreline brakes for instance started life in the flat 4 and finished up as the front in a 250 twin and the rear is still in the tranverse 4.

Although in his 80's he's still very with it, still driving and very fit. He's also an identical twin and even at this age Glynn, his brother is nearly identical.
Glynn incedently was the development engineer at Myford Lathes until his retirement.
Dennis calls in the workshop about once a month for a natter and scrounge a few bit of metal. He still has a decent workshop, two Myford lathes, a bridgeport mill and a big old Muir lathe made in 1900 that he made most of the bike parts on.
His involvement with bikes ended in about 1959 when he built the single. After that he went onto the forerunner of the jet ski. They were called scooter ski's then and Dennis was the original invertor of these. In fact the original patents only ran out a few years ago.

John S.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

All very interesting, John. Thanks for taking the time.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
gmac

Post by gmac »

I ran across some interesting info on the butterfield and willis 4-cylinder bikes made using VW engines and thought that was a neat idea, but this guy went the whole enchilada. This stuff should be in a museum and he should be recognized for his acomplishments. It would certainly be worth it to see more about this and if there are other unique items in his past before they are lost, is there possibly a historical society in the area that could help out with this??