Can a working V-8 be made on Sherline?

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Lee_Owens

Can a working V-8 be made on Sherline?

Post by Lee_Owens »

Hi-
I'm new here. New to machining too. I just ordered Sherline's 17inch lathe and 8-direction mill. I don't expect to be making working engines soon, but that is a long term goal.

I've seen 1/3 and 1/4 scale Vee engines but I'm wondering if anyone has made them small enough to use the machines I'm getting.

Thanks, Lee
Doug_C

Re: Can a working V-8 be made on Sherline?

Post by Doug_C »

Sure it can be done, if you scale the engine to the machining envelope for the equipment you have.

Just as all work is done over a period of time. It just takes longer with small machines. In the end the results can be equivalent. Overloading them will shorten their life drastically.

Gain some experience with small singles, twins, glow and diesel projects. Taking on a big V-8 may run out your skills and enthusiasm before it ever gets finished. Small successes in complete engines help size up a larger project.

Do a search for miniature engines to get an idea of what can be made with your machinery.

DC
steve jacobs

Post by steve jacobs »

you might try making a stationary steam engine for starters. i first made 3 steam engines and then a i cylinder ic. it was a bob shores little angel design and it was much harder than the steam. check live steam back issues and also bob shores web site. i also double sized the engine because i have full sized machines. have fun, dont get discouraged, and concentrate on one piece at a time. steve
Lee_Owens

Post by Lee_Owens »

I'm really not into steam....at all.....but I understand the "baby steps" idea.

Can you recommend a good first engine, preferably one that has castings available? If steam, I would want it to power something. Maybe a steam-powered r/c boat.

What about a good single-cylinder gas engine?

ugh. stupid learning curve! I want a little Merlin next week! Maybe a mini Top Fuel engine. yeah. There we go [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Lee,
I would first look for something that can be made from bar stock, rather than from castings... this way if you make a mistake, you don't trash an expensive casting, you just cut another piece and go again, until you have a part you're happy with...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

As others have said, it can be done as long as you keep things small. But, a V-8 is a very ambitious project. It would be wiser to start out simple and work up.

Bob Shores sells plans for some single cylinder engines that can be built out of bar stock:

http://www.bobshores.com/pages/1/index.htm

For inspiration, go to George Luhr's Web site:

http://www.minimodelengines.com/AboutMe.htm
http://www.minimodelengines.com/Feature4C.htm

He's shown standing next to his jeweler's lathe which appears to be smaller than the Sherline.

Enjoy,

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]Orrin
So many projects, so little time.
Lee_Owens

Post by Lee_Owens »

Bryan-
That makes a lot of sense. Boy, gotta love the internet.

OK, do you know where I can get plans for an engine made from barstock?

BTW, when I was a soldier stationed in Germany, I picked up a catalog of r/c plans published by VTH. They have some really cool engines but I would need to convert from metric......or would I? How difficult (or expensive) would it be to switch from inch to metric on the same machine????
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Just use a calculator to convert the measurments from one units to the other. Then go to the machine and make them with whatever dials are there. It will become second nature after a while. There is also a free program online called Convert.EXE that is very handy.

Check out this link to the Motor Boys page for the Owen's Mate and others under the construction projects page.

Motor Boys International

DC
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Lee,
I would also urge you to look at Bob Shores plans... The Little Angle is a great starting point, and many have been made on Sherlines...

I would think converting a Sherline to a metric unit would only involve leadscrews and dials and should be fairly inexpensive...

Mind you, a calulator and a pen to make and note the imperial dimensions on your plans is real cheap option! and then you could make it on any machine...

It is becoming quite common to have both dimensions on drawings these days.. the secondary units are in brackets following the primary unit dimension...
ie: 1.000" ±0.002" (25.40 ±0.05)
In your case it would be the other way around...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
morayc

Post by morayc »

I would recommend you have a look at the yahoo groups Min_Int_Comb_Eng and modelicengines.

I would also highly recommend the back issues of Strictly IC. I have recently started buying the back issues, and the information contained in them is excellent.

Strictly IC
Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry »

Lee,

For bar stock engine plans you might want to look at Jerry Howell's site:

http://www.jerry-howell.com/

Although most of those IC engines are probably a bit big for the Sherlines, it might be possible to scale them down a bit.

Also, Metal Lathe Associates sells plans for a Diesel model airplane type engine that might be a good starter project as it is pretty simple:

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/meta ... LA-17.html

Mike
Mike, near Chicago
Grue

Post by Grue »

There's some links on http://www.nvbackflow.com/engines/index.html

Don't think you'd build it on a sherline but the links may be useful.

Glenn