Wankel

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

captainkirk

Re: Wankel

Post by captainkirk »

I went to the "Cabin Fever" show in Pennsylvania and there was a fellow there that was building a small Wankel twin rotor engine with rotors about 1.25 inches in diameter. He had most of the engine done and I asked how he had machined the rotor chamber, and was startled to here him say "that was the easiest part of building it" all he did was bore two overlapping holes and then smooth the transition area till the rotor ran smoothly through its travel. I don't profess to say he is right but the rotor moved freely through its travels and it looked like it should work. I offer this information from just an observation of this model and in no way say I have done such nor is it correct, but it might be a way for a small engine builder to accomplish the complicated shape.
wvickery2003

Post by wvickery2003 »

Hello everyone

I'm sure you can all see that I am new here, so if I've got it all wrong, please let me know.

I've just read the posts on the wankel engines. I'm a great fan and was wondering if it would be at all possible to get hold of a copy of that article that was in 'Model Engineer' (15 November 1963). Can anybody help me out here with a copy or something?

If it is of interest, there are some drawings on http://www.starapex.com/squire1.html that show how to make (at least give the basic ideas) a machine that will generate the epitrochoid using a rotary table and some gears etc.

Best regards
Warren Vickery
jutz

Post by jutz »

I considered making such a device some time ago but some mathematics showed that it doesn't generate a true epitrochoid. The center of the cutter (or grinding wheel in the case of what's shown on the site) follows an epitrochoidal path but the parallel path traced by the periphery of the cutter forms a different curve. The resultant curve could be used for a chamber housing if the tip seal has the same radius as the cutter but if the tip seal has a different radius it will move in and out of its groove a considerable amount and probably wear very quickly.