GHQ Engine

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Bryan

Re: Question for UnkaJesse

Post by Bryan »

Here's a site with a little info, and plans to make one...
Pulse Jet Engines

And for more technical info:
Pulse Jet Aeromodellers of Australia

I loved seeing these things run as a kid... there was an occasional visitor to our model aero club that had one on a control-line model... it would take 3 or 4 laps to get up to full speed, but that was about 150mph... even on 70' lines, it would screw him into the ground... it got too hot once and caught the plane on fire... talk about lots of flame...
From memory, the power rating was around 4 or 5 lbs of thrust...

There are a few for sale on e-bay... search for "dyna-jet engine"
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

It's not the same animal as a pulse-jet.

I will lay clame to the worlds smallest Pulse-jet, I'm talking about one that runs, has been built, and tested. I will post a picture later. The engine is 1" diameter and 14.5" lg. it produces a little over 4 oz of thrust.

I know there are sketches of smaller engines, but I am talking about one thas has been built and it runs.

Post by 41758 »

I ordered one of those engines when I was a kid. It was a piece of junk!
It had to be fueled by putting the fuel through a hole of about .010 in diameter.
Then you build a fire in a fuel holder under it. It had to use unlead fuel or exhaust
would stop up. Once it heated up, it ignited the fuel in the tank, creating a rocket. Now that I am older and a little wiser, it could have been an explosion or burn the house down. It moved about 1/2 " on it's own. I tried othe fuels, including JP4, but white gas was all that would work with it. I finally put it in the garbage. This was
in the late 50's. I could have went to 10 or so movies with the money back then.
It cost me $1.50 plus shipping.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Don't forget that there was also a "Jet" plane that was nothing but one of those CO2 cartridges full of CO2 and a set of wings . It had a launcher with which you aimed the airplane and when you pulled the trigger, it punctured the CO2 cartridge and ZOWEEEEEEeeee! That thing would "fire" for about 10 seconds and then when the CO2 was used up, the plane would glide to a landing.

There was also that little Herkimer CO2 airplane engine that ran off of one of the cartridges. It had a tit on the top centre of the piston that kicked a tiny check valve off its seat at the top of the stroke. Ran like a haint for a pretty good while, but there was no way to stop or control the power until the cartridge ran out of CO2.

The Herkimer would run either way, depending on which way you flipped the prop to start it, but sometimes it had a mind of its own about which way to run.

Unka(I knew a guy who "shot" a bunch of welding oxygen cylinders off of a homemade launch ramp at a Corps of Engineers slab field near here. He set the cylinders on the ramp and broke off the valve with a sledge hammer. Cylinders went half way across the Mississippi according to him)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb