Pulse-Jet

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Re: Pulse-Jet

Post by UnkaJesse »

Al, the time period sounds about right although I would think late 40s since I tried building one before Uncle decided I needed to go to Ft Jackson for a couple of years in March of 1951. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Dampfwilli, you right, those things make heap plenty of noise and run red hot down most of the tube. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img] Fire hazard? You better believe it!!

Unka(Fortunately, my abilities were not very well developed way back then and I never got the ram jet to work)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Charlie

Ram Jet

Post by Charlie »

Al, What's the diameter and length? Can you skan the plans and post them? I want to build it.
Otto Heider

Re: Pulse-Jet

Post by Otto Heider »

In roaming around the 'net I found a site where the people make such devices, they run on propane. There was one in particular hooked to a go-kart frame and would actually propel the thing down a road. I don't think these were pulse jets but the discussion about these thinks was that they burned a lot of propane and made lots of noise. I think one link was about a propane powered beer cooler. The propane exited a 5 gallon tank so quickly that it would work to cool the beer.

Rotsa Ruck

Otto
Al_Messer

Re: Ram Jet

Post by Al_Messer »

The Ram Jet is 10 inches lomg and 2 inches in diameter.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Charlie, send me you E-mail address and I'll send you what I have.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Al, Zip a copy over to me also iffin yer don't mind.

Unka(Heck, I might put one on the rails at Mid-South to compete with all them lawn mowers)Jesse
dampfwilli

Post by dampfwilli »

I posted: I have drawings. But without a emailaddy i cant send! Its to much for a attachment on the board.
Have Fun
dampfwilli

You must not be crazy to play with steam, but it helps.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dampfwilli,

I'd be thrilled to get a copy of the drawings if you don't mind. If it's still possible to get them, please send them to: [email]vordos@tds.net.[/email]

Thanks,
Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

Unka(Heck, I might put one on the rails at Mid-South to compete with all them lawn mowers)Jesse

The Union Pacific had a bunch of gas turbine locos in the 50's and 60's, Unka Jesse. As I recall, the last batch was initially rated at 8,500 HP and was uprated to 10,000 HP. Big Blow they were called. I believe that 10,000 HP is way ahead of whatever is in second place in the prime mover horsepower race.

You could model one of those -- with a miniature jet engine -- for Mid-South. Maybe use a gas turbine from a helicopter.

Charles
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Charles, the "Dixie Chopper" lawn mower company put one of those helicopter jets on one of their mowers, hence the motto "World's Fastest Lawnmower". I bet I could give those hotshot guys who turn up at Mid-South a run for their money!

Unka(Sounds like a good idea to me)Jesse
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

If you ever get a chance to visit the Army's Aviation Museum at Ft. Rucker, Ala, they have an itty bitty helicopter with two itty bitty pulsejets mounted on a pylon that made the thing go and they are not a whole lot bigger than what Charlie is talking about.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Al_Messer

Re: Ram Jet, now 'way O/T

Post by Al_Messer »

Speaking of museums, did you know that the Confederate Naval Museum is right outside Ft. Benning, Georgia in Columbus? Some right interesting Steam engines in one of the gun boats they are re-building.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"