CI cylinder liner material

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Buckshot

CI cylinder liner material

Post by Buckshot »

...........Would machining CI water/sewerpipe make a useable cylinder liner in an aluminum block. Say for a slow speed low compression engine?

Best,
Rick
All one needs in life to be happy is a good mule and a banjo
Doug_C

Re: CI cylinder liner material

Post by Doug_C »

I can't fore see why not. As long as it is not from public utilities?

There was another gent that posted a tid bit about that very subject. Not in detail. Just as part of another subject. An old timer told him a story from the old country where during the war effort, materials were needed to repair equipment. Stealing the piping out of the streets was their only option......even though it was a shoot on site crime?

Voids and inclusions in the material will be the biggest concern. I would not think it to be high quality casting, but usable after machining and a close inspection for negative issue flaws.

I have read stories about model engine builders using the old cast iron window counter-balance weights for cylinders and piston rings.

Sounds like a fun project.What will this be going into?

DC
Buckshot

Re: CI cylinder liner material

Post by Buckshot »

"I have read stories about model engine builders using the old cast iron window counter-balance weights for cylinders and piston rings.

Sounds like a fun project.What will this be going into?"

DC

.............Nothing specific in mind at the moment. I was in a construction materials and metals supply place a month or so back and saw the cast iron pipe and blank endcaps and wondered if these would be a source. I was actually thinking 'Steam Engine' at the time, but figured by the time a piece of CI pipe was all squared up and stuff you'd probably be able to see through it. Not enough mass to be stable, so the thought of IC cylinder liners struck.

I see that MSC carried CI solid cylinders and cored cylinders in gray and ductile CI that would be more suitable for steam. My grandfather used ot repair small gas engines for people as a hobby and I'd take the junkers and via regrinding and welding the cam lobes turn them into single acting steam engines.

Regards,
Rick
All one needs in life to be happy is a good mule and a banjo