Casting Kit

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, JackF

solek

Casting Kit

Post by solek » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:47 pm

I am planning to buy a hit miss casting kit, with spark plug ignition. I would like some feed back on engines have been built by members of the form. Some of the casting kits I purchased, when you check the plans to the castings, you have to plan where to put shim stock, to get parts to fit.
Anyone have what they think is a good kit?

Mike_Henry

Re: Casting Kit

Post by Mike_Henry » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:06 pm

Haven't built any yet engines, but have been accumulating a fairly extensive set of model IC engine casting kits and plans for "someday".

The Redwing is a nice set with good plans. Bob Shores also had some bar stock plans and casting kits that are well thought of. If money is no object and you want a fair amount of hand holding take a look at the Dinky Deere - the casting kit comes with a pretty extensive collection of setup photos and instructions in addition to the plans. All of these can be found pretty easily on the web through a Google search.
Mike, near Chicago

solek

Post by solek » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:49 pm

Mike
Thanks for your reply.
The Deere is a little to costly, for my blood.
I have built Bob Shore’s “Silver Angel” and “ Sliver Bullet”. Plans are a little hard to follow, but they ran. The best engine, as far as all the parts fit, and the engine ran will, is Philip Duclos “Gearless Hit Miss engine”. (In “Home Shop Machinist” books)
Jerry Howles “Super Sterling Fan” went together and ran, few problems with the drawings.
Based on the number of people that have viewed the request for a good casting kit, and the lack of replies, they are having the same problems I seen.
Would still like to build an engine that looks like the real thing. Hard to do with bar stock.

Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:53 pm

Have you looked at the Red Wing yet? A couple of friends have built them and seemed to think highly of the company, castings, and plans. One of them runs it annually at NAMES and never seems to have any problem starting it or keeping it running. I think it runs around $400-500 for the castings, parts kit, and plans.

You might also try the Yahoo MICE group for additional suggestions.

There's also a new Bob Shores Yahoo group that just started in case any lurkers are interested in those engines.
Mike, near Chicago

solek

Post by solek » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:19 pm

Thanks for the “Red Wing” suggestion. There is an engine store in Portland, OR, ( CB Schrock, Purveyor of Machinery) that carries the “Red Wing”at $395. He said he normally has them in stock, and hopes to have one at the GEARS show, which is 9/25 &26 in Portland. I plan to go to the show and will check it out
From the number of people that looked at the message, still looks like most people have the same problem I do with casting kits.

Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:45 am

I've got the Red Wing kit and the castings and plans look pretty good to me. A couple of friends have built them, one for show only (rarely runs it) and the other runs it once year. They both show at NAMES and share a booth there. The guy that runs his has no trouble starting it and keeping running all day. It was his first hit n' miss, I think, and he's been in the hobby about 5 years. That speaks well to the plans and castings, I think.

There are lots of other kits out there, of course, but at some of them have a reputation for poor castings and/or plans.
Mike, near Chicago

larry_g

Post by larry_g » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:36 pm

While your at GEARS look up Tom Stuart, he will be exhibiting. He has a casting kit of his Fairbanks for sale. Some nice peices and a good running engine. I am a friend of Tom's and of yet haven't built one of his kits so this biased information is worth what you paid for it.
lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.

mrehmus

Post by mrehmus » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:16 pm

Tom's last all cast iron kit resides in my shop as I let the castings age properly.

Probably the best running and easiest to build engine is the Duclos' Odds'n Ends that is made out of bar stock. I have friends who run that engine at shows for 8 hours straight with only a pause for refueling.

The Duclos Gearless is certainly spectacular but it is trickier to make and make run. Mainly because the 'carb' is a straight-in piece of pipe and the engine floods fairly easily. One solution is to angle the pipe upward to the engine port so the liquid fuel will run out instead of inside.
Mike Rehmus
Editor, Model Engine Builder Magazine
[url=http://www.modelenginebuilder.com]www.modelenginebuilder.com[/url]

solek

Post by solek » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:40 pm

Am update on the engine kits:
Bought the “Fairbanks” from Tom at GEARS , as the “Red Wing” had not arrive. Have had a few problems with the kit, not with the castings, but with the size. Have a 12" Craftsmen lathe, and if the flywheel casting were 1/16" bigger, I could not have held them to turn the hub. Cutting the outside edge was also very close to the limit, of the lathe. Machining the base is out of the limits of my drill mill. To get it done I have signed up for the open lab at the local Junior College machine shop. The cylinder was to long to press in with my arbor press, used a friends. The bottom line is check your equipment to see if you can machine the parts.
Tom has been very helpful. Had a problem with white iron in the cylinder casting, he offered to send a new casting, but I worked through it. Again a bigger lathe would have cut through it. Had a problem with the igniter, never made one before. He sent me his spare, to see what was wrong. Drawing has two views, and I read them wrong.
Went to the Visalia, Ca and the “Red Wing” kit had come in, so I bought it. Have not started it but the main difference I see is it is smaller and a lot of the small parts are brass castings. “Fairbanks” uses bar stock for the small parts. “Gas Engine” magazine has been doing a write up on building the “Red Wing”. On machining the head he wrote “The cylinder head is a beast from hell”. I hope his write up will help get the head done.

Ken Stuempges

Re: Casting Kit (Red Wing)

Post by Ken Stuempges » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:29 pm

I have completed three Red Wings so far. They are great running engines IMHO.
You can see some of the machining steps I did on my first one at:

http://www.thehermitsmachineshop.com/

Go to the site index and click on Red Wing

Some of the operations can be improved upon (I learned that on number 2 and 3), but I was successful on no. 1.

Have fun!

Ken

solek

Post by solek » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:46 pm

Some time ago, I had asked for suggestions on what was a good engine kit to purchase. The Red Wing & Fairbanks Morse were recommended. I bought both and here are my options after building them:
Overall:
Both engines ran well when completed. Personally I like the Fairbanks Morse the best, was easier to build, and cost less.
Castings:
Fairbanks Morse - no problems
Red Wing - Head boss’s were undersize (It’s painted so JB weld works) and governor weights were to small to make as print called
Problem Areas:
Fairbanks Morse- Ingitor hammer parts are very small and hard to set up.
Red Wing - Governor parts require a lot of hand fitting. The fuel system has some tricky machining.
Drawings:
Fairbanks Morse- Ingnitor drawings were hard to understand. Tom has redrawn, and sent me new ones, there fine. He also added a drawing for a cooling tank, and water pump.
Red Wing- Few small dimension problems.
Tooling:
Fairbanks Morse- Need 3" long, ½ mill to cut a slot, for the ingniter stand
Red Wing- My normal drill chuck is 2 ½" in diameter, when I tried to drill the crank bearings stud holes, and some of the other holes, it hit the water tank. Had to used a 1 3/4" diameter chuck
Taps & Dies
The Red Wing fuel system called for some tie& dies, I did not have: 6-48, ½-24,1/4-40,& 5/16-40
Good Points:
Fairbanks Morse- All the parts fit, and it started up without problem. As this was my first ingniter engine, I had a problem seeing how it worked. Tom sent me a spare ingniter, so I could see how it worked.
Red Wing- Having the springs, rings, and spark plug in the kit saved a lot of time. The exploded drawing of the engine was great, you can see where a part goes. Most kits you are lucky to get a picture of the engine. You also get a listing of the materials needed to complete the engine, and instructions with pictures on machining the engine parts. Comment: I could not figure out how to bore the cylinder on the lathe, but a Bridgeport mill did the job .

icemaker

Post by icemaker » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:08 pm

Congratulations!! You must have more time for the shop than I can manage to complete not one, but two of these engines. You have done a nice job of writing up the problems with these engine. Do you have any pictures of the finished product that you can post?