Good news on the Horizon

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Doug_C

Good news on the Horizon

Post by Doug_C »

To All,

After reading the post put up in the commercial forum for the soon to début publication of Model Engine Builder, coming out in March. I wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate Michael and his team for taking on a sorely needed venture.

While it is still great to see Strictly IC keep up with demand on back issues. Robert and Frances have earned a well deserved retirement. Although, like many of you, I still miss the constant surprises enclosed in new issues. My back issues are still an invaluable reference to have available. Highly recommended for anyone interested in model engineering of all skill levels. It remains an icon in this fraternity and will be collected for many years to come.

The new source for continuing the proliferation of this hobby is a welcome addition. I'd like to raise a toast to Mike, wishing him all the dedication, perseverance and success. Keeping in mind that this success has much to do with support, contributions and participation of the new group of subscribers to launch a new era in our hobby.

Thanks again, Mike for the HEADS UP!

Christmas again in March anyone? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

A link to the Model Engine Builder Magazine

The site may be down for admin purposes. It was down as of this posting.

DC
icemaker

Re: Good news on the Horizon

Post by icemaker »

Doug,

I second everything you said. It seems that I had just discovered Strictly IC when they announced the end of publication. I have been collecting the back issues and only have one more year to go. Therefore, I am glad to see something new on the horizon. Bill
Mike Rehmus

Post by Mike Rehmus »

Thanks for the kind comments about Model Engine Builder. I will try very hard to make this the best magazine of its kind.

We will publish 4 issues in 2005 and plan to increase the frequency to 6 issues per year thereafter. First issue will be out the door in March of 2005.

The first issue will have a single-cylinder diesel engine design from down-under and an in-line, six-cylinder, open framed engine that is reasonably easy to build and very interesting to watch. We'll also have a number of shorter articles on aspects of building and designing the IC engine.

We've got a Beginner's Corner where you will find the only steam engine to ever get into the magazine. There is just nothing simpler than a wobbler steam engine for the beginner. It goes together easy with a minimum of tools and is almost guaranteed to run. We gotta suck the beginners in some way!

Miniature machining will also receive attention from day one. Lots of folks out there with the Sherlines and Taigs that would like to have build articles scaled to the size of their shop equipment.

A bit of CNC too. Not another article on how to build a CNC machine but a series on applying CNC to specific tasks.

We'll also have some advertising. Hopefully at a nice level and definately without crowding out the build articles.

Centerfold. Yes, we will have a Centerfold article. Not a build article but a story about a engine of significance and its builder and his shop. I hope everyone likes it as I'm traveling to Reno on Friday to visit with Eugene Corl and his 1/3 scale Chevrolet small block in cast iron. 7 years in the making, it is as scale inside as it is outside. I think Eugene has a higher count of core and pattern parts that there are screws in the engine.

One big difference between this magazine and all the others I've been able to see is that the plans are not bound into the magazine but are 'B'-sized drawings that can be taken into the shop without taking the magazine apart.

Since the ISP has crashed my brand new web site, it is impossible to get subscription information from there. The price in the U.S. is $29.95 outside of California and $32.16 inside California. Canada and Mexico are $38. Other countries are $44 for surface and $55 for air delivery. Everything in U.S. funds.

We welcome your comments and criticisms at any time and we especially welcome your contributions and subscriptions. If you have any questions in the near future (the next 48 hours) you are invited to email me at [email]michael.rehmus@byvideo.com.[/email] After 48 hours the site will be up or I will have a new ISP.

Mike Rehmus
Editor, Model Engine Builder Magazine
A publication of Elmwood Publishing.
mrehmus

Post by mrehmus »

Much later. . .

The new site is up and running reasonably well. I do have a new ISP!

The new site will handle subscriptions via PayPal (and you don't have to have an account with PayPal to use them) and straight credit card sales should be up by Friday.

I was in Reno over the weekend shooting the centerfold pictures of the cast-iron, 1/3rd-scale Chevrolet small-block built by Eugene Corl.

Incredible when you realize it is the FIRST engine he's built! I asked him how he learned to cast Iron and the reply was, he took a casting course at Knights Foundry up in the California Gold Country but his main source of learning was about $1,000 worth of Lindsay books.

The main thing is Eugene doesn't think there is anything he cannot do. So far he's been right.

V-8 picture attached. Please do not pass it around as I intend to use it in the magazine.
Mike Rehmus
[url=http://www.modelenginebuilder.com]www.modelenginebuilder.com[/url]
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Mike,

Glad to see your site up. The subscription process was smooth. Now the next 4 months will be a test of patience for me. I have plenty to do between now and then, but oh, the anticipation......

Did you get to hear Eugene's V8 run? I think I have seen the engine in process at the PRIME show a few years back. Seems to me I had a short chat with him on his casting process. They sure had a nice finish. Not as rough as I would have expected at any rate.

If you ever met the late Lee Root and heard his Corvette 327 sing, it was a screamer. I heard Paul Knapp has it, along with Lee's other engines in the museum now? I was partial to the radial Lee had created, but to see any of his creations run is something I will never forget.

Doug
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for sharing the picture with us. That's truly an awesome engine!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mrehmus

Post by mrehmus »

Yes, I've seen and heard Eugene's engine run three times now. AT Gears in Portland, MMM in Visalia & then at his home the week after Thanksgiving. It ran better every time as he did major maintenance on it between viewings.

He has it idling very smoothly now. And it has the proper bark when he presses the throttle.

My plan is to have a video of the engines in the magazine also on the Web site and running. So you can hear them before you decide to build them or in Eugene's case, just drool. I haven't been able to convince him to write a build article on the engine. Maybe on some aspects of casting in iron though.

I saw and have lots of video of Lee's engines running.

If you were at PRIME in 98, 99 or 2000, (or GEARS this year) I was the guy behind the video rig working on a show video. So I have a lot of footage of Lee's engines (and a lot of Eugene explaining how his cores and patterns work)

I'm afraid that the next 4 months are going to be a test of endurance for me. Robert Washburn said this would be hard. I find it fun but then I haven't actually produced the magazine yet.

The build articles I have in hand right now will more than fill the magazine. I had planned to present the Mills compression ignition engine in a single issue. But if I do that, then I don't have room for the variable pitch propeller, the magneto, the oil-control piston rings, & the in-line six-cylinder air-cooled engine.

I know the article cupboard can get very empty from time to time but right now, knowing what is out there (if I can get them to write just a little bit) the future looks very rosy. How about a P&W 1430 or the granddaddy 28 cylinder radial, both with electrically controllable propeller pitch? Or a re-designed Morton M5 or the little single cylinder Morton?

So many models and modelers and so little time. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img] I love this hobby!
Mike Rehmus
[url=http://www.modelenginebuilder.com]www.modelenginebuilder.com[/url]
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

I am told the mag is at printers now.....I don't think there can be a lot of subscribers yet.......I got my confirmation right away, and two updates so far.
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Hey Jerry,

I heard a run of 2000 in the first printing. I didn't ask what the subscription numbers were. I think it will be disclosed in the mag. There will also be a treat of a contribution from Robert Washburn, Strictly IC's editor and owner. The content in this first issue sounds great! Once it gains ground, I'm positive the interest will be out there.

DC
J Tiers

Latest news

Post by J Tiers »

Got this email:

Quote:

I hope you will be pleased to know that the magazine is finally in
the mail as of yesterday. We've learned that 'At the Printer's.' is
not the same thing as 'Done and In the Mail.' For a number of
reasons the print cycle was longer than expected by more than a week.

I've received a copy of the magazine and think it is fairly good. It
has a few rough corners that should be easy to knock off by next
issue. We ended up with 36 pages bound into the covers including 6
full-color pages and 18 B-sized drawings folded once and placed
inside the back cover.

For those who subscribed later than last Saturday, we are scheduled
to receive the bulk shipment of the magazines on Friday and should be
able to mail your's early next week.

Unquote
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

Received issue two today. I think it is better than the first one, and so far the mazazine seems well worth my subscription dollars. (Your mileage may vary.) Charles
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

Mine arrived a day or two ago, and I agree, this one is better than issue #1